Can anyone tell me if this is a leghorn or a Rhode Island white? Thanks!

TripleH23

Hatching
Mar 20, 2023
This is a chicken I am thinking about buying to put in with my Rhode Island Red hens. Just trying to figure out what breed it but all the pictures I’ve found are similar so I’m not sure and these are the only pictures she has sent me. Any help would be great.

Attachments

• A4B79F6F-2384-4EC9-80EF-55942160EA03.png
    A4B79F6F-2384-4EC9-80EF-55942160EA03.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • FAF190E4-89E0-43CF-BF6A-EB30816E3D73.png
    FAF190E4-89E0-43CF-BF6A-EB30816E3D73.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
In your photos, he's got that broad-breasted, stocky appearance of a Rhode Island. But he's also got red earlobes. That makes him a Rhode Island White breed:
tic_tac___rhode_island_white_rooster_by_mintymintymid-d48hmru.jpg

White Leghorns have white earlobes and are more slender:
R.04344a66bb61bf82b623294386baac8c

Leghorn_cockerel_and_hen.jpg

Last edited:
Rhode Island Whites by standard have rose combs and are quite uncommon. He appears to be a White Rock :)
x2 White Rock
Are you both quite sure?

I'll admit I'm almost clueless about breed characteristics, but I've been reading up and learning. I've learned that the APA standard for Rhode Island Whites IS a rose comb, but there are strains that have single combs, like this one from Cackle Hatchery:
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/product/rhode-island-whites/
So.... it *could* be either breed? (Just not a Leghorn.)

I've also read that the White Rock is most commonly used for commercial egg production, weighing up to 7.5 lbs. The Rhode Island White is a newer breed, hardier, and most often kept in backyard flocks; weight up to 6.5 lbs.

So... I still think it's a Rhode Island White, due to apparently coming from a backyard flock. I could very well be wrong, though. If I AM, then please correct me so everyone can learn, and I won't perpetuate false information.

OH! And to @TripleH23, where did your seller get this bird? That might be your best clue.

And THIS great tidbit, if it IS a RIW:
I read that crossing a RIR hen with a RIW rooster produces sex-linked chicks! Pullets will be red, and cockerels will be white. Bonus! For this alone, I truly hope he is a Rhode Island White.

(I'm not inclined this morning to post all the links from where I garnered this information, but I will if anyone here thinks it's necessary. Let me know.)

(Edited to strikethrough some of my statements, and direct readers to more accurate information below by @Rhodebar Lover below and @pipdzipdnreadytogo on Page 2). Thank you.

Last edited:
Are you both quite sure?

I'll admit I'm almost clueless about breed characteristics, but I've been reading up and learning. I've learned that the APA standard for Rhode Island Whites IS a rose comb, but there are strains that have single combs, like this one from Cackle Hatchery:

I've also read that the White Rock is most commonly used for commercial egg production, weighing up to 7.5 lbs. The Rhode Island White is a newer breed, hardier, and most often kept in backyard flocks; weight up to 6.5 lbs.

So... I still think it's a Rhode Island White, due to apparently coming from a backyard flock. I could very well be wrong, though. If I AM, then please correct me so everyone can learn, and I won't perpetuate false information.

OH! And to @TripleH23, where did your seller get this bird? That might be your best clue.
I read that crossing a RIR hen with a RIW rooster produces sex-linked chicks! Pullets will be red, and cockerels will be white. Bonus! For this alone, I truly hope he is a Rhode Island White.
Almost every hatchery sells white Rocks, they're more common than R.I.W but since they look identical...we'll never know.😅 Most battery birds are sex links anymore.

Are you both quite sure?

(I'm not inclined this morning to post all the links from where I garnered this information, but I will if anyone here thinks it's necessary. Let me know.)
White Rocks are even more commonly used in meat production. They're used to make Cornish Crosses. White Rocks are very common in backyard flocks-much more common than RIWs who are stocked by only a handful of hatcheries and those that do, only out-of-standard birds. Furthermore, this bird is massive. Not quite Cornish Cross massive but big-boned none the less. This is very consistent with a White Rock since they are very commonly over standard weight due to their selection for meat quantities when compared to other Plymouth Rock varieties. Hatchery SC RIWs are marketed towards laying and are not as course boned as this bird. I would even counter and say that with the improper comb type, they shouldn't even be called RIWs to begin with as they're missing a crucial trait of the breed (similar to EEs being marketed as Ameraucanas). Regardless even hatchery RIWs are very uncommonly sold and White Rocks are sold by many more big name hatcheries and are more common overall. When you hear hoofbeats, think horse not zebra ;)

Back
Top Bottom