Can anyone tell me if this is a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Faithinak, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Faithinak

Faithinak Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2015
    He (Pat) is 17 weeks old. Bigger bird, a talker, hasn't crowed but has been crouching for the last couple of weeks. I am about to rehome him because I thought he is a rooster. Could I be wrong?[​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Looking at the difference in wattle / comb development (compared to the others) it could be a rooster but its difficult for me to tell as the hackle feathers are difficult to pick out, and the photo does not show the saddle feathers. Are its legs thicker than its siblings?

Having said all that, if its is crouching when you approach - it means its a hen and wants to be mated. The wattle / comb development may suggest that it is reaching maturity.

If there is not even an attempt at a crow when you let it out of the coop in the morning, this further supports the pullet theory.

See what other more experienced members think, but, as i say, if it is crouching when you approach it, its for sure a girl!

CT

3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I agree. I got 5 Buff Orpingtons, all purchased from the same place, as day old chicks. One of them developed red comb and wattle well before the others, and what do you know - she was also the first of the 5 to lay. And she laid a good 2 weeks ahead of the other BOs.

Although I can't see the hackle and saddle feathers either, her behavior says pullet to me all the way. I would hold off on rehoming that one - she could very well be providing someone else with the eggs you've been waiting so patiently for. If she does turn out not to be a "she", the worst that can happen is that you fed a rooster for a couple of extra weeks before you knew for sure! [​IMG]

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is that Pat right out in front in your avatar?
    I'm guessing pullet.
    [​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Pullet.

At this age, the larger, reddening comb and the squatting are all signs of impending sexual maturity, and that means EGGS!

6. furrybollocks

furrybollocks Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    I think pullet. I don't see any pointed saddle feathers or any other indicative signs that she is a he.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a pullet to me.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Pullet approaching point of lay - be watching for her first eggs very soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by