Can anyone tell me what breed our drake is? Mallard?

caitlinscarlett

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 7, 2012
Northern Ireland
Hi everyone,

We'd love some help figuring out what breed our drake is. We were given him by a friend of a friend and have no idea what he's "meant to be"!! The closest I can guess from looking around the net is a mallard but he has no ring around his neck. We've bred him with our (probably) Aylesbury cross ducks and would love an idea of what's going to hatch from the eggs in our incubator in a few weeks. If anyone can confirm or deny the girl's breeds too that would be great. They were sold to us as Aylesburys but they have yellow/orange feet and bills not the pink bills an Aylesbury is "supposed to have". They are great layers though - at least one of them is laying every day and the other two are laying every other day at least.

Thanks!

Hmmm - Swedish black does indeed seem to be a possibility for our drake! I'm sure our girls aren't pure bred Pekins though (or pure bred anythings to be fair!). They're no where near upright enough to be pure Pekin - they seem much more Aylesbury-ish in their build and gait even without the pink bills! Probably right that there is Pekin in there somewhere though - especially based on their egg production! Can't wait to see what sort of mix of duckling colours we get. Eggs are two days into their incubation so fingers crossed that they'll hatch ok! Thanks for the replies - more guesses are welcome!

Most pekins aren't very upright. The upright ones are show quality, and the waddling ones are your common, everyday pekin.

Be sure to post pics of the ducklings, I know they will be precious... and
welcome-byc.gif

Oh my goodness duckies! I thought for a minute you stole our drake! Thanks for posting the picture. He's definitely very similar to our boy! I hope ours is a pekin cross and our girls are Pekins cos then we should get three quarter pekin ducklings! Thanks for the welcome Miss Lydia and I'll definitely post our ducklings when (if!) they hatch. We're also incubating a couple of rhode island red hen eggs and a Belgian Bantam egg so we should have much cuteness in a couple of weeks time. I can't wait!

Oh my goodness duckies! I thought for a minute you stole our drake! Thanks for posting the picture. He's definitely very similar to our boy! I hope ours is a pekin cross and our girls are Pekins cos then we should get three quarter pekin ducklings! Thanks for the welcome Miss Lydia and I'll definitely post our ducklings when (if!) they hatch. We're also incubating a couple of rhode island red hen eggs and a Belgian Bantam egg so we should have much cuteness in a couple of weeks time. I can't wait!

pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom