Can anyone tell me what this is?

My5girls5

Hatching
Aug 1, 2021
Hello,
I am relatively new to raising chickens. I have been raising only hens for a year. Today I noticed this in the nesting box. I have never seen anything like this before.Does anyone know what this is? I am worried but don’t know what to do. I did check them and I don’t see anything prolapsed from any of them. Am I right to be concerned? Is there anything I should do or be looking for? Thank you!
1627859569858.jpeg

It looks like there were two eggs coming along in the oviduct, close together, and one only had a membrane and they were joined together. It looks like the membrane from one is covering the other egg. I would give a calcium tablet with vitamin D 3 orally if you have some. Do you feed layer feed and do you have crushed oyster shell available? Hopefully this was a glitch in her laying, and won’t happen again, but it could be something going on with her oviduct.

Was this one of your hens first egg?
No if it is the one I think it is she has had a few large misshapen eggs. I haven’t seen any misshapen ones in the last few days. I have been getting 4 eggs from 5 hens.

It looks like there were two eggs coming along in the oviduct, close together, and one only had a membrane and they were joined together. It looks like the membrane from one is covering the other egg. I would give a calcium tablet with vitamin D 3 orally if you have some. Do you feed layer feed and do you have crushed oyster shell available? Hopefully this was a glitch in her laying, and won’t happen again, but it could be something going on with her oviduct.
I do feed layer feed and have oyster shell available at all times. I have been feeding them extra vegetables from my garden about every other day. Would that be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom