Can anyone tell me what this rooster is?

Seen more than afew just like him- silkie mixed with game. small crest, rose comb body type, short legs from silkie, clean legs and large tail from game. I've even made the cross myself to test out as setters for peafowl eggs.

It is very easy to lose the black skin and extra toe plus normal skin is not THAT rare in silkie, plus there is no reason he could not be a second generation onwards from even a real good and perfect silkie. 2nd gen mix or whatever could fit in for his splash color, however blue is more than common in both silkies and games so it still could be a product of pure game crossed with a silkie, especially a hatchery stock silkie.

As a test, you could breed him to his daughter or a silkie and if any of the chicks come up silked, there is your proof.

Last edited:
Come to think of it I did have a silkie/old english game cross that looked like him. Wish I had a picture. I once ordered 75 silkie chicks from a hatchery and one of the partridge hens turned out clean legged. She looked pure silkie with a nice crest, mulberry comb, black skin and 5 toes on each foot, just clean legs. Maybe she got the recessive clean legged gene from both parents.

Yeah and have seen more than a few silkies with normal skins(even a few yellow skins, as an aside- also green skins- black skin combined with yellow skin), single combs, no crest or normal toes.

Also leg feathering genes has very wide range of expression even when genetically present.. particularly in mixes. they can do strange things like show up as fuzz on legs of day olds and as adults they appear clean legged.. breed them with another clean leg and you get leg feathered birds(usually sparse though).

Yeah I think game and silkie. I have another guy that's half game and Arucauna and another game and wyndotte

Back
Top Bottom