can anyone tell the diff from a polish hen to a rooster

Pics
20170616_111214.jpg 20170616_111231.jpg Just starting out at this chicken thing. My wife and i have 4 right now. 1 rooster and 2 are hens. The fourth is a polish and we're not quite sure. From the post here I'm thinking female because of the fluffy hairdo and it doesn't have a long tail. My concern is the red beard starting out. Its about 2 and a half months old. Sorry for the novice wording and thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I heard the Roosters have spikey hair that is long with long tail and saddle feathers the hens have big puffs with short tails and no saddle feathers plus I heard the rooseter have bright red comb and waffles.

View attachment 1044574 View attachment 1044573 Just starting out at this chicken thing. My wife and i have 4 right now. 1 rooster and 2 are hens. The fourth is a polish and we're not quite sure. From the post here I'm thinking female because of the fluffy hairdo and it doesn't have a long tail. My concern is the red beard starting out. Its about 2 and a half months old. Sorry for the novice wording and thanks in advance.

Hi :welcome

Right now looking at your polish I would say you have a female there but at only approximately 10 weeks it maybe a tad early to tell for sure and the wattles are very pronounced for a female at only 10 weeks. If you get a side shot of your polish that would be great to see how the tail is set.

Hi :welcome

Right now looking at your polish I would say you have a female there but at only approximately 10 weeks it maybe a tad early to tell for sure and the wattles are very pronounced for a female at only 10 weeks. If you get a side shot of your polish that would be great to see how the tail is set.

This has been such a helpful thread. I need some help guessing on my two Polish, a silver and a gold laced. I've never had this breed before. They are about 13-14 weeks old. They seem to both be bearded, with messy combs, no wattles or combs under those feathers on either one. No crowing from either. The gold has developed more slowly, and is now getting noticeably larger than the silver. Goldie was always more laid back, and silver was quick and bossy from the start. Goldie is now at the top of the pecking order, although there's been no aggressiveness. Not the best pictures - they're both camera-shy! Any thoughts on these two? Thanks!
photo 3.JPG
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

Back
Top Bottom