Can anyone tell yet?

4sillymonkies

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2020
I am new to chickeneering and there are limits as to how many chicks I can have in town, and no roosters aloud. I purchased two buff orpington and one Rhode Island red from a local feed store, but I'm concerned that I may have a bunch of roos. These are about 5 and a half weeks old. Can anyone help me?

Attachments

• IMG_3389.JPG
    IMG_3389.JPG
    900.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3390.JPG
    IMG_3390.JPG
    915.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3392.JPG
    IMG_3392.JPG
    774.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3393.JPG
    IMG_3393.JPG
    876.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3394.JPG
    IMG_3394.JPG
    786.6 KB · Views: 11
You do appear to have cockerels in that batch of chicks. On the plus side one of those BO looks as if it might be a pullet. However, sometimes chicks seem to be one sex when they are the other. Give them a bit more time just to be sure.

This year I bought what they call started pullets. They are pullets between 15 and 22 weeks old. That way I knew for very sure that I was only getting pullets. Yes, they cost a lot more than chicks. Worth it to me to not have to find someone to process an unwanted cockerel. A week and a half after I got my new girls, one was already laying eggs. I did not have to wait.

You will have to start to think what you will be doing with those cockerels. Selling cockerels is nearly impossible where I live. Everyone has more than they need. Sometimes I have found someone who will use them for meat. If you are unwilling to process them yourself then you will have to have a plan for when they start to crow.

You do appear to have cockerels in that batch of chicks. On the plus side one of those BO looks as if it might be a pullet. However, sometimes chicks seem to be one sex when they are the other. Give them a bit more time just to be sure.

This year I bought what they call started pullets. They are pullets between 15 and 22 weeks old. That way I knew for very sure that I was only getting pullets. Yes, they cost a lot more than chicks. Worth it to me to not have to find someone to process an unwanted cockerel. A week and a half after I got my new girls, one was already laying eggs. I did not have to wait.

You will have to start to think what you will be doing with those cockerels. Selling cockerels is nearly impossible where I live. Everyone has more than they need. Sometimes I have found someone who will use them for meat. If you are unwilling to process them yourself then you will have to have a plan for when they start to crow.
Are you thinking the RIR and one BO are the cockerels? I wondered with the combs too!

Ok, more recent pictures. I'm having a hard time with the BO's other than one still having heckle down still they both have thick legs and pink combs. These are all about seven weeks old. No one is trying to crow yet, no one is showing any pushiness.
Also, are there any websites that give in depth details on breeds? Or help navigating BYC threads :)

Attachments

• IMG_3480.JPG
    IMG_3480.JPG
    406.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3477 2.JPG
    IMG_3477 2.JPG
    333.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3470 2.JPG
    IMG_3470 2.JPG
    354.7 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom