Can baby chicks have Cinnamon Apple-sauce?

He’s barely eating. Starter Grower is his arch nemesis or something :rolleyes: He will NOT eat it by itself. No matter what. Wet, dry, barely moist, nope. So I tried something... I put a 50/50 starter/applesauce mix (with some added water) and he ate very little of it. But it’s definitely better than nothing, right? Any other suggestions? I’ve come to be far too attached to this little one. :fl

He’s barely eating. Starter Grower is his arch nemesis or something :rolleyes: He will NOT eat it by itself. No matter what. Wet, dry, barely moist, nope. So I tried something... I put a 50/50 starter/applesauce mix (with some added water) and he ate very little of it. But it’s definitely better than nothing, right? Any other suggestions? I’ve come to be far too attached to this little one. :fl
I forgot to ask, is the applesauce sweetened?

Is this little one able to eat/drink on it's own, active and moving or are you having to hand water/feed?

Do you have any Poultry Nutri-Drench? Give her 1-2drops daily.
It wont' hurt to use a little applesauce to make your starter mash, but she needs to be eating good. Is her crop filling?
You may also want to try hard boiled egg yolk. I've found that my chicks like just the yolk if hard boiled. Make sure she's drinking well though, yolk is a bit dry and pasty.

I forgot to ask, is the applesauce sweetened?

Is this little one able to eat/drink on it's own, active and moving or are you having to hand water/feed?

Do you have any Poultry Nutri-Drench? Give her 1-2drops daily.
It wont' hurt to use a little applesauce to make your starter mash, but she needs to be eating good. Is her crop filling?
You may also want to try hard boiled egg yolk. I've found that my chicks like just the yolk if hard boiled. Make sure she's drinking well though, yolk is a bit dry and pasty.
I believe it is sweetened, yes.

I’ve only seen it eat on its own once. I’m now feeding it (again, like in the video) at least every 1 or 2 hours. I’m trying, and I’ve come to love this little thing.

Yes, I do have Poultry nutri-drench. 2-3 drops orally? And I have been putting it in the applesauce/starter mix, too. I’ll do the egg right now. And the only way it EVER drinks is by me dipping its beak into the watered like one might do for a new day-Old chick. Thank you for all of your help, it has been most appreciated. :hugs

@casportpony (maybe you can help, too)

I need a little more advice... this chick is always closing his eyes. He has opened them, but only for short periods of time. Maybe they’re stuck? What might help?

I’ll make a post on this thread explaining a bit more about his hatch, maybe that will help as well.

This is one of my 5 OEGB chicks I hatched
in my own incubator. He hatched day 20, hours passed. He was dry BUT STICKY!! I left him overnight... And I woke up to this: (yes, he is dry, but crusty, not really sure what happened with him)
D356EACF-822B-49C3-B03D-E74045CF1C2C.jpeg

This chick was STUCK. So, I bathed him in Dawn Dish Soap and dried him with the hairdryer. Now, he can walk, but I’m worried he doesn’t function correctly
1586B9BA-1067-4BFA-9443-782AA2D10EF2.jpeg

Anyways, thank you everyone

I believe it is sweetened, yes.

I’ve only seen it eat on its own once. I’m now feeding it (again, like in the video) at least every 1 or 2 hours. I’m trying, and I’ve come to love this little thing.

Yes, I do have Poultry nutri-drench. 2-3 drops orally? And I have been putting it in the applesauce/starter mix, too. I’ll do the egg right now. And the only way it EVER drinks is by me dipping its beak into the watered like one might do for a new day-Old chick. Thank you for all of your help, it has been most appreciated. :hugs
I would give her a direct dose of 1-2 drops orally every day. It's fine to put a few drops into your wet mash too.
Get your little one hydrated first, then give your wet mash.
I'm sure that you are attached, they are such sweet little things. You are doing the best you can.
Keep him warm like you have been doing. Sometimes chicks that have had a hard time hatching like that are behind or sadly they may fail to thrive. All you can do is to continue with what you are doing and hope for the best.

Can she walk on her own very good?

I would give her a direct dose of 1-2 drops orally every day. It's fine to put a few drops into your wet mash too.
Get your little one hydrated first, then give your wet mash.
I'm sure that you are attached, they are such sweet little things. You are doing the best you can.
Keep him warm like you have been doing. Sometimes chicks that have had a hard time hatching like that are behind or sadly they may fail to thrive. All you can do is to continue with what you are doing and hope for the best.

Can she walk on her own very good?
It can walk pretty good. But it’s about 1/2 the weight or less of the others. :fl

Back
Top Bottom