Can calcium deficiency cause paralysis in button quail?

PrincessKiara

Songster
Mar 2, 2020
Caribbean
One of my button quail hens, I don't know who, laid a partially soft shelled egg a few days ago. I mixed crushed eggshells in with the feed (turkey starter, Campi brand) and thought that was enough but yesterday my button hen Stormy's legs were partially paralyzed, progressing to full paralysis throughout the day along with lethargy and weakness. She can move the rest of her body just fine and until this morning was eating, drinking and tucking her head under her wing to sleep, in other words acting normal except for the stiff as a board legs. This morning she even pecked some birdseed. She wouldn't drink from a syringe but I left her a capful of water, and she seems to be pooping normally. She's now gasping for breath but still alert.

Could this be calcium deficiency? I'm not sure how to post a video. As of yesterday she was able to take flight briefly even though she crashed down bc of the legs.

She's on her own inside a box.​

Calcium deficiency can cause paralysis in any poultry. Not all poultry can process calcium properly. A deficiency in vitamin D can cause the failure of the proper absorption of calcium.

The fastest way to get calcium into the system of a calcium deficient hen is by giving her a solution of liquid calcium. You can find liquid calcium supplements in pet shops or online. Make sure that you do not give it to your male poultry as it can be harmful to their kidneys.

Calcium deficiency can cause paralysis in any poultry. Not all poultry can process calcium properly. A deficiency in vitamin D can cause the failure of the proper absorption of calcium.

The fastest way to get calcium into the system of a calcium deficient hen is by giving her a solution of liquid calcium. You can find liquid calcium supplements in pet shops or online. Make sure that you do not give it to your male poultry as it can be harmful to their kidneys.
Thank you! Is there a human equivalent I can use? I'm outside the US and don't have access to a lot of things :( would maybe grinding eggshell to a powder and mixing it into water do? And how do I make her take it? I'm afraid to make her aspirate if I force her but putting water on the outside of her beak doesn't work. She flings it right off.

Thank you! Is there a human equivalent I can use? I'm outside the US and don't have access to a lot of things :( would maybe grinding eggshell to a powder and mixing it into water do? And how do I make her take it? I'm afraid to make her aspirate if I force her but putting water on the outside of her beak doesn't work. She flings it right off.
I would imagine that you could dissolve some calcium pills in water. They should be readily available in any grocery type store in the section where they sell various supplements.

Do you have chickens?

Why are you feeding bird seed?
Stop immediately this is not good for quail.

Can you buy a chicken layer crumble feed?

Do you have chickens?

Why are you feeding bird seed?
Stop immediately this is not good for quail.

Can you buy a chicken layer crumble feed?
They get bird seed as a very occasional treat. Yes I have chickens their main food is a mix of chicken and turkey starter crumbles made into a mash since chickens and quail live together.

Stormy didn't make it... I'm steeling myself to do a home necropsy. Just want to look at her liver and rule out Marek's.

They get bird seed as a very occasional treat. Yes I have chickens their main food is a mix of chicken and turkey starter crumbles made into a mash since chickens and quail live together.

Stormy didn't make it... I'm steeling myself to do a home necropsy. Just want to look at her liver and rule out Marek's.
Have you lost chickens to Marek's?

Have you lost chickens to Marek's?
No, I haven't lost chickens to anything tbh. Just had a pullet get very sick and spent a ton to save her, but she's better now. After 3 blood tests, a fecal, and 2 bacteriological exams, it came out that she had candidiasis, E. coli, staph, whipworm and coccidia. The vet told me to give her 0.5mL twice a day of intramuscular cefotaxime and 2mL orally of nistatin solution. Unfortunately she also has liver damage, perhaps due to the prior vet throwing random meds including ivermectin at her, so that caused neurological signs and she gets 0.42 mL orally twice a day of Cholal which is a human liver support supplement. She also gets 0.6mL intramuscularly of Ornipural liver protector, every 2-3 days, which is what keeps her from declining. She will need treatment for about a month but the vet says she should regenerate fully.

No, I haven't lost chickens to anything tbh. Just had a pullet get very sick and spent a ton to save her, but she's better now. After 3 blood tests, a fecal, and 2 bacteriological exams, it came out that she had candidiasis, E. coli, staph, whipworm and coccidia. The vet told me to give her 0.5mL twice a day of intramuscular cefotaxime and 2mL orally of nistatin solution. Unfortunately she also has liver damage, perhaps due to the prior vet throwing random meds including ivermectin at her, so that caused neurological signs and she gets 0.42 mL orally twice a day of Cholal which is a human liver support supplement. She also gets 0.6mL intramuscularly of Ornipural liver protector, every 2-3 days, which is what keeps her from declining. She will need treatment for about a month but the vet says she should regenerate fully.
Poor thing...I bet one or more of these things you listed above is the reason for this bird's death too. I'd bet it was one of these before I bet on a calcium issue.

Poor thing...I bet one or more of these things you listed above is the reason for this bird's death too. I'd bet it was one of these before I bet on a calcium issue.
Any clue which is likelier? I can give preventive treatment to the others, I have nistatin left over... But that only treats candida. I don't have any of Maple's antibiotics left... I have the Cholal still, and lots of it, also Ornipural. But those will only treat liver damage if there is any, not the underlying causes.

Back
Top Bottom