Can cats eat baby chicks?

Elrodvo

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2017
Hey guys. I am wondering if cats can eat baby chicks because I seem to notice that 9 of my baby chicks in the backyard are gone. I did a count and we had like 28 baby chicks. Now we have like 15. I started thinking and I was thinking about that cat that always goes into our backyard. If this is the cause, what should I do? I even have a fence for the baby chicks and they are still disappearing.

YES they will definitely try to eat them. How old are they? Do you have a chicken tractor you can keep them in? Or just rap around chicken wire?
Sorry about the loss
1f615.png

welcome-byc.gif

Cats will DEFINITELY eat baby chicks. We have lots of feral cats we feed around here (maybe not the best idea, but we can't stand watching them go hungry), who eat baby chicks. Or rather, would if I allowed them to. When we let our chicks loose, I check on them constanly, and herd them in if any cats are around. 9 is a lot to lose to a cat, I send sympathy.

@Lucyluvchickens I have 12 baby chicks that are getting their white feathers. Their feathers are almost fully white. 5 baby chicks that are small but growing. We also use chicken wires. I think the cat can literally jump over the chicken wire... I also have a chicken tractor we keep them in.

welcome-byc.gif

Yep, cats will happily eat baby chicks. Seems to be until about 2 moths is the vulnerable age. After that, I've only had problems with them taking Silkies, who aren't very bright to start with
roll.png

You need to predator proof the chick's enclosure. Or do away with the cats.

hardware cloth is the only thing I trust anymore, over all sides and top and even down into the ground if possible. the thing is that there are so many things that would absolutely enjoy the tasty snack, cats, coons, foxes, coyotes, possum, dogs... the list goes on and on! hardware cloth should be called chicken wire, not the stuff with large enough openings for critters to get it, it's kind of a travesty!

I am lucky my cat, who hunts wild birds, doesn't care much about the chicks I brood and care for, probably since they smell like me or something, whether they be chicken chicks or quail chicks. I still keep a keen eye on them, but the babies happily snuggle against her as she snoozes and the most she does is sleepily sniff at them and purr to get me to pet her more, and when me and the chicks are outside, Angel keeps an eye out for stranger cats who WILL hunt my babies, as well as acting as a natural scarecrow for any crows or magpies that may try and snatch up a chick.

She has always been more of a dog than a cat though, following me around like a shadow, as well as maintaining eye contact with me when she wants me to pay attention to her or when begging for food, and while it sounds crazy to many, me and Angel can kinda communicate with one-another akin to a dog owner does with their canine companion, via body language and voice tone, I even can get her to do tricks, if she is in the mood for it. I still would never leave the chicks alone with her though, no matter how docile she acts with them around me, seeing them alone and running about could trigger her hunting instincts, or she could try playing with one and seriously harm it by accident.

Back
Top Bottom