Sarah1728

Chirping
May 11, 2019
Hi all, I'm making fire tonic for my family and was curious if it would be good for my hens. Ingredients are onions, garlic, ginger root, horseradish root, Turmeric root. Hot peppers (habenero, Serrano, & fresno) and Apple cider vinegar. After it sits in a half gallon mason jar for 2 weeks you strain all the veggie bits out so your left with a smooth tonic to drink. The veggies you can keep and use in stews to get all the same health benefits. But I was curious if I could give hens some of the veggies too. Just wasn't sure about each ingredient being ok for them

Don't want to hijack thread but, I am curious about the use of pepper & tomatoes. I've read several places that the greens from these two families are toxic for chicken. Yet, I have seen the 'fruit' used. Just like the apple seed cyano property.
If I'm not mistaken tomatoes are in the nightshade family and chickens wont touch the leaves as they are toxic. not sure about peppers though.

While some say the chickens don't need it, I would say why not?
Those ingredients sound wonderful. The inflammatory reduction and microbe support might be good for them just as it is for us. Just don't give too much as to disrupt their balanced feed. Some say that peppers help increase egg production, although that's debatable.
So many people are sick around here right now I'm tempted to give this a try myself. I've avoided coming down with anything so far and I take lots of supplements and probiotics...but with all our new house construction and work going on, I feel a little run down.

Back
Top Bottom