Can chickens be left alone for about a week?

That was my concern with an automatic door. I don't want any of them to get locked out at night. Do you think if we found the right person to check on them (open up the coop in the morning, check on feed and water, and put them to bed at night) with a regular door, they'd be ok?
I wouldn't trust young birds with an auto door and no oversight but if they were older and using the coop without issue then I wouldn't sweat it. As long as you secure both coop and run beforehand, should be minimal risk in letting them have run access the entire time you're gone.

I think the friend or the neighbor boy (maybe with help from a parent or older sibling) would be fine, as long as you trust them to be reliable in following instructions.

I would still, as a precaution, put out extra water and food, however much your waterer and feeder will hold, just in case something happens, to minimize the possibility of them going without.

I wouldn't trust young birds with an auto door and no oversight but if they were older and using the coop without issue then I wouldn't sweat it. As long as you secure both coop and run beforehand, should be minimal risk in letting them have run access the entire time you're gone.

I think the friend or the neighbor boy (maybe with help from a parent or older sibling) would be fine, as long as you trust them to be reliable in following instructions.

I would still, as a precaution, put out extra water and food, however much your waterer and feeder will hold, just in case something happens, to minimize the possibility of them going without.
Thank you so much for the advice! You've been so helpful!

Back
Top Bottom