Can chickens eat...chicken?

Last edited:
I have a question, I have 60 chickens 2 peacocks, 2 white breasted turkeys and 4 peking ducks... I used to get 30 or more eggs a day now less than 15- i was feeding straight up 17% protein pellets from tractor supply then I cut 2 bags of pellets with 1 50 bag cracked corn and 1 wheat- is taht why the loss in egg prpduction ? should i just use the corn & wheat for "scratch feed" and pellets for food ?

Don't know where you live, but in the UK it is illegal to feed any scraps from the kitchen to chickens.so maybe he heard that and ran with it :)
That sounds like a law that I would be ignoring completely.

I came across this thread when a friend of mine (who does not and never has kept chickens) told me that it's not recommended to give your hens a boiled chicken carcass. When I asked him who recommends against it, he couldn't come up with an answer. XD

I asked him what he thinks wild chickens would do if they came across a dead chicken. Because I'm about 95% sure they'd take advantage of the free meat.

That sounds like a law that I would be ignoring completely.

I came across this thread when a friend of mine (who does not and never has kept chickens) told me that it's not recommended to give your hens a boiled chicken carcass. When I asked him who recommends against it, he couldn't come up with an answer. XD

I asked him what he thinks wild chickens would do if they came across a dead chicken. Because I'm about 95% sure they'd take advantage of the free meat.
It is a law that is completely ignored, I know a few people that raise poultry over in the UK and they feed animal proteins, fats and table scraps all the time..

Also I don't know if you meant it hypothetically or theoretically speaking but there are no wild chickens, there can be farrow chickens but as for wild chickens there none and never was a wild chicken. Chickens are a "man made" subspecies bred from different types of junglefowl.
wink.png

It is a law that is completely ignored, I know a few people that raise poultry over in the UK and they feed animal proteins, fats and table scraps all the time..

Also I don't know if you meant it hypothetically or theoretically speaking but there are no wild chickens, there can be farrow chickens but as for wild chickens there none and never was a wild chicken. Chickens are a "man made" subspecies bred from different types of junglefowl.
wink.png
Strictly true - but what I meant would have been "chicken-like fowl" of which there are many.

My Chooks get the good life, they get all leftovers fruit veggies etc. and yes, even chicken.. I am forever sending them bones and scraps of various types of meat but I must say, rabbit and chicken is their favorite!

My chickens also like chicken. My grandkids wasted a lot of chicken when we had a barbecue so I brought the scraps home and the chickens loved it. Their absolute favorite treat is bread. They go crazy for it.

Mine especially like home-made basil pesto with bowtie pasta, and a side of salad, followed with handpicked berries a la dirt.

Not that they are spoiled or anything like that!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom