1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can chickens eat cinnamon?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by InsaneBreeder, Feb 22, 2010.

1. InsaneBreeder

InsaneBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    I want to give them some of the oatmeal I had leftover for breakfast, but it has cinnamon in it. Is it okay for them to eat it?

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    You'd probably have to put so much in that you wouldn't want to eat it yourself for it to bother the birds. Mine love cooked oatmeal no matter what I put in it.

.....Alan.

3. InsaneBreeder

InsaneBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    A.T. Hagan :

You'd probably have to put so much in that you wouldn't want to eat it yourself for it to bother the birds. Mine love cooked oatmeal no matter what I put in it.

.....Alan.

Oh, okay, thank you.

But I do like a lot of cinnamon...​

4. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Cinnamon is fine.

5. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    It will help them reduce their blood sugar and tummy fat [​IMG]

Hayleylashea likes this.
  6. Sprinkles212

Sprinkles212 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Louisiana
    I asked a friend how her chickens lay eggs with such deep yellow/orange yolks. She does not allow her chickens to free range like ours do. She said its because she pours cinnamon on their feed.

Hayleylashea likes this.
  7. OrgChknfarmer

OrgChknfarmer New Egg

Jan 24, 2015
    I know our chickens lay almost an orange colored yolk and that is from them being free range organic chickens

Hayleylashea likes this.
  8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Well, more accurately it is because their diet is rich in carotenoids --- which can be accomplished whether they are free range organic birds or not.

Welcome to BYC!

Hayleylashea likes this.
  9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    It has nothing to do with your chickens being "organic" or even "free range".

Orange yolks are from a high amount of β-Carotene in the yolk, Carotene is the hydrocarbon that gives some plants, fruits, vegetables etc. there rich red-orange color. Foods like carrots, pumpkins, sweet potatoes are rich in Carotene but also greens like alfalfa, spinach, kale, lettuce are also rich in Carotene. So a chicken feed a standard poultry feed and supplemented a carotene rich diet can and do produce dark orange yolks.

10. OrgChknfarmer

OrgChknfarmer New Egg

Jan 24, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by