Can Chickens Eat Grapes? Are grapes safe for chickens?

LakeGooseBerry

Songster
6 Years
Jul 10, 2014
I have a mash of grape skins and seeds left over from making grape juice. Is this safe to give to my chickens?

And while we're on the subject, are there foods or food by-products that are definitely bad for chickens and should not be given?

Can chickens eat grapes?​

It may come as a surprise, but we often get the questions: Can chickens eat grapes? Are grapes safe for my flock? Are grapes a healthy snack for my hens?

Toxic substance in grapes?​

From our research, there are no toxins in grapes that you need to be concerned with. It's safe to feed chickens grapes! Just make sure to wash the grapes to ensure they are free of pesticides.

Size of the grapes​

The next obvious question: Do I have to worry a grape will choke my chickens if they try to swallow them whole? Do I need to worry about preparing grapes to feed to my poultry?

While it's usually not a problem for chickens to eat whole grapes (they will peck and crush grapes), we suggest helping them out by cutting or breaking up the grapes into smaller pieces.

Can chickens eat every part of the grape?​

Ok, grapes are cool for my flock... but what about the grape vines, seeds, stem, leaves, peeling, etc? In general these are all fine for your birds to have free access to :)

How many grapes can you feed a chicken?​

Grapes have lots of wonderful goodness, including a bunch of antioxidants. Of course your flock won't get adequate nutrients, including important vitamins, fiber, and minerals just from grapes. They definitely need a quality chicken feed. That said, you'll be fine providing grapes to your chickens in moderation.

Can chickens eat raisins?​

Raisins are a whopping 96% carbohydrates (high sugar content), 3% protein, and about 1% fat... and are fine to feed your flock... again, in moderation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use to give grapes to my chicks and to my duckies. No problems.

There are some foods that shouldn't be given to the chickens. If you do a google search, you should be able to find a quick list. I think most people will debate just about everything on the list except for avocado skins.

When I introduce a new food, I give a small amount and I watch my chickens to see how they react to it. Do they inhale it? Are they sleep afterwards? Is their poop extra runny, red, or blue? Do they get grumpy? Or they more talkative?

Yep, grapes are absolutely safe for chickens. I have given my four barred rocks grapes for a while now and they love them! I would cut the grapes in half before giving it to them, because they can be big. There was an instance when my barred rock somehow got a whole grape and swallowed it by accident, and she had trouble pooping but luckily she was able to digest it and poop it out. Grapes are not only yummy, but healthy. I wouldn't give them too much because too much is always not good. Grapes help the human heart, and I don't see how they wouldn't help chicken hearts. Grapers also have a decent amount of Potassium, which is great for the chickens. I wouldn't give them grapes as their meal every day, I would give them grapes as a snack or treat, maybe once every other day.

Some foods that they shouldn't be eating is definitely avocado pits and skin. The flesh has been eaten by some chickens before, but it is not recommended. Avocado has toxins that aren't harmful to humans, but they are dangerous to chickens. They also shouldn't be eating anything moldy, old, or oily. Many people give them junk food such as chocolate, candy, and fast food but that is all bad for them.

Actually, many people think that bread is bad for the chickens, but bread sctually does help chickens lay eggs easier. You can feed them any type, they absolutely love bread and give them like grapes, for a treat or snack in small chunks.

I hope this helped!!

Lauren

I give my girls grapes on occasion. I quarter the grapes to avoid any concern about the grapes getting stuck in their crop (not sure that's a legitimate concern, but it makes me more comfortable).

They love their grape pieces, it's a healthy treat!

Ya know, on one of "those" kind of days, you may forget to give the grapes to your chickens....and come back to find that it's fermented into red wine!

I've never seen red wine on the list of things never to give your chicken, but I wouldn't take any chances!

Back
Top Bottom