Can chickens eat human calcium supplements?

Mudsow

Songster
10 Years
Aug 6, 2009
I have a 1 1/2 year old hen, she's been laying regular every day eggs for a year now. I ran out of my oyster shell, went to buy more and the store CLOSED! so I got some at another feed store, not the same brand, this is more powdery and whiter. She doesn't eat it as much as she did the old brand. I've been using it for a few months now and have noticed a few thin spots on her eggs, now she's not laying as frequently and when she does, she's been eating the eggs. I'm thinking she just doesn't like this brand and that could be why she's having the thin spots, etc... and why she now feels the need for more calcium. SO, I ordered a bag from McMurray hatchery, hoping she'll like this stuff, but until it gets here in a few days, would it harm her to offer her a human calcium tablet?

Don't want her to have any issues since she's obviously wanting calcium.

Mudsow

Last edited:
I have given my hens a calcium suppliment. it's a chewable calcium tablet (for humans) which I crush and mix in with some laying mash. I add water and they love it. I saw instant results. and my chooks loved it. I put about 3 tablets in for 4 chooks.

I don't know about that...seems like it could be a bad idea. I would get something designed for chickens, not people. I know that chickens are sensitive to sodium. Is she not on layer feed?

Yes, she's on layer feed, and gets fresh greens and roasted mealworms as treats. But it's just odd, that she's been having issues since we switched oyster shell brands. i know we're headed into winter, and it's her second year, so she could be just slowing down because of that, but, heck, she's in our computer room (right behind me hehe) and I'm up till at least 11:00, so she gets ample lighting and she's got 70* year round! so I wasn't so sure that winter would be her main reason. With the thin spots, and then missed days, and now egg eating??? just seems to me like a calcium issue. She's otherwise fine.

The calcium carbonate tablets for people are just crushed oyster shell, with some binders to keep it in tablet form. I sure don't see any reason why you couldn't substitute crushed tablets on a short term basis, except for that they're a lot more expensive than a bag of oyster shell.

Actually, my aunt who is a nurse, told me that calcium carbonate is difficult for the human body to absorb, and people should be taking calcium CITRATE instead.

Quote:
Yeah, what she said
smile.png

hey i was wondering even if my chickens aernt ill is it good to give em calcium mixed with either their food or their water

Back
Top Bottom