Can chickens eat onions?

Cyprus

Master of the 'never give up' attitude
Jan 19, 2018
My Coop
My Coop
As stated above, can adult chickens eat onions?
I have half an onion left over from making today's stuffing. I don't like to waste items. So instead of tossing it, can my chickens eat it?
It's half of a large yellow onion.
We also have leftover green and black olives and pickles. Probably won't give those to the birds, though.

How much is too much?
That’s a good question when I looked it up it says “in moderation”. I grow chives mine don’t like them. Sometimes I have left overs with onions...they leave them in the bowl. So mine don’t eat them.
I haven’t found a exact amount. They are not toxic or poisonous.
I guess...they’d have to eat large amounts for them to become anemic.

That’s a good question when I looked it up it says “in moderation”. I grow chives mine don’t like them. Sometimes I have left overs with onions...they leave them in the bowl. So mine don’t eat them.
I haven’t found a exact amount. They are not toxic or poisonous.
I guess...they’d have to eat large amounts for them to become anemic.
Okay thanks.
It's 1cup of onion. If they don't touch it, oh well.

They can, but in over two decades of raising chickens I've yet to meet a single one who actually *likes* onions, or any Alliums (garlic, chives, leeks, etc.) for that matter. They always pick around them when given leftovers, even if the onions are like 1/30th of the food's composition and chopped.

They can, but in over two decades of raising chickens I've yet to meet a single one who actually *likes* onions, or any Alliums (garlic, chives, leeks, etc.) for that matter. They always pick around them when given leftovers, even if the onions are like 1/30th of the food's composition and chopped.
This is good news for those who farm onions or alliums and keep chickens!

Back
Top Bottom