Can chickens eat onions?

If the chooks won't have 'em you can dehydrate the onions to use as a spice later on, freeze them or put them in the fridge if you'll commit to using them soon. Otherwise it's compost time.
I didn't know I could freeze onions :eek:

I very rarely have, mostly because I use a ton of onion when I cook with it. But as long as you cook it and weren't planning to make, say, ceviche or poke that uses fresh raw onions it's a viable option so as not to waste.

Ceviche is a Mexican dish involving fish that has been chemically cooked rather than with heat by using the acid from lemon or lime juice, raw onion, chopped ripe tomato and often cilantro. Poke is a Hawaiian dish that is comprised of cubed raw fish and a whole slew of other ingredient choices, but raw onions and seaweed are very popular options. =)

I love them both, but sadly can't eat Nightshade plants anymore, so no more ceviche for me.

Ceviche is a Mexican dish involving fish that has been chemically cooked rather than with heat by using the acid from lemon or lime juice, raw onion, chopped ripe tomato and often cilantro. Poke is a Hawaiian dish that is comprised of cubed raw fish and a whole slew of other ingredient choices, but raw onions and seaweed are very popular options. =)

I love them both, but sadly can't eat Nightshade plants anymore, so no more ceviche for me.
Why no more tomatoes? :(

Why no more tomatoes? :(

I figured out at age 24 after eating them my whole life up to that point that the Nightshade family (which peppers, potatoes, eggplant, poha berries, tomatoes belong to) were responsible for this weird nervous system problem I had always remembered having. With absolutely no warning, imagine getting the sensation of being literally stabbed, and it can be anywhere in the body. It was so intense and jarring it would stop me in my tracks momentarily, and if it happened around my nose or eyes it would make my eyes start watering and blur my vision temporarily.

Eliminated all Nightshades from my diet in 2015 trying to resolve other health issues and discovered by accident within 12 hours that awful phenomenon went away completely. In years since I've tested out eating them again just to see if it would still happen and it comes back like clockwork in 3-4 hours, then subsides again after about 12 if I don't eat more of them.

Sucks horribly because I used to grow and eat so many different kinds of all those. There were homegrown peppers, tomatoes and potatoes cooked and eaten daily in at least one if not more meals. Ugh.

I figured out at age 24 after eating them my whole life up to that point that the Nightshade family (which peppers, potatoes, eggplant, poha berries, tomatoes belong to) were responsible for this weird nervous system problem I had always remembered having. With absolutely no warning, imagine getting the sensation of being literally stabbed, and it can be anywhere in the body. It was so intense and jarring it would stop me in my tracks momentarily, and if it happened around my nose or eyes it would make my eyes start watering and blur my vision temporarily.

Eliminated all Nightshades from my diet in 2015 trying to resolve other health issues and discovered by accident within 12 hours that awful phenomenon went away completely. In years since I've tested out eating them again just to see if it would still happen and it comes back like clockwork in 3-4 hours, then subsides again after about 12 if I don't eat more of them.

Sucks horribly because I used to grow and eat so many different kinds of all those. There were homegrown peppers, tomatoes and potatoes cooked and eaten daily in at least one if not more meals. Ugh.
That sucks :(
I'm sorry.

Back
Top Bottom