Can chickens get heart attacks?

The Mother Hen

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 10, 2013
So I've had hens of all ages and one chick (three weeks old to be exact) to fall over dead for no reason. One day they are fine in the morning and usually in the afternoon/evening I find them dead (or a family member does). They show no signs of infestation/trouble and no injuries of any kind, so could it be an internal thing? Also, some of the bigger hens had shrunken combs. Is that a sign of a disease? What is happening to my hens, and how can I prevent it?

The chick died yesterday, we had a big thunderstorm but my brother saw what happened. He said the baby fell into a slight dip in the grass so he picked it up and the chick started to close its eyes for no reason. Last thing I knew the baby chick died. PLEASE HELP!

Chickens can have heart attacks. It is especially common in broiler chickens, but can affect all chickens.

Don't know about chicks, but there is a thing called "flip over" syndrome.
I had a wonderful rooster, Peckerwood. I was in the chicken yard and he was his usual self. I went to the car and brought back a bag of feed and he was laying on the ground on his back. For just an instant I thought he was playing a joke. (Yeah, I know, they don't do that, but still..). Then I noticed his wattles were purple. He was gone. Just like that. I tried CPR, but it just doesn't work on chickens. That was a shocker.

I had a wonderful rooster, Peckerwood. I was in the chicken yard and he was his usual self. I went to the car and brought back a bag of feed and he was laying on the ground on his back. For just an instant I thought he was playing a joke. (Yeah, I know, they don't do that, but still..). Then I noticed his wattles were purple. He was gone. Just like that. I tried CPR, but it just doesn't work on chickens. That was a shocker.
Actually there have been some people who have done CPR on their chickens who lived.
smile.png
Sorry for your loss.

How do you do CPR on a chicken?

So I've had hens of all ages and one chick (three weeks old to be exact) to fall over dead for no reason. One day they are fine in the morning and usually in the afternoon/evening I find them dead (or a family member does). They show no signs of infestation/trouble and no injuries of any kind, so could it be an internal thing? Also, some of the bigger hens had shrunken combs. Is that a sign of a disease? What is happening to my hens, and how can I prevent it?

The chick died yesterday, we had a big thunderstorm but my brother saw what happened. He said the baby fell into a slight dip in the grass so he picked it up and the chick started to close its eyes for no reason. Last thing I knew the baby chick died. PLEASE HELP!
How many have died and are there any symptoms? How hot has it been and have you added any new flock members? Have you given any new feed?

How do you do CPR on a chicken?
You can do CPR on any animal,in chickens you would have to make sure you cover the nostrils to ensure air is in fact reaching the lungs,the heart is located up and tucked under the crop. If one was going to try this,make sure you do not blow to hard as this will probably burst the lungs.

Back
Top Bottom