Can chickens get Proud flesh?. About a month ago i found this on my chicken. The 2nd picture is when i first found it. The first is it now.

SheilaG828

Hatching
Dec 2, 2020
20201202_101838.jpg
20201110_195823.jpg
:duc

Skin is skin. Granulation is the primary method a large wound has to form new tissue to fill in the missing tissue. Proud flesh can occur. But you would treat it the same as necrotic or infected tissue by debriding.

Debriding needs to be performed or the dead tissue can become infected, and debriding also encourages new tissue growth in the cleaned out areas. Debriding means to remove all dark tissue and any pus.

That wound is in a very unfortunate place on your chicken. It doesn't lend easily to soaking which can soften the dead skin and excess granulation. So you need to figure out a way to clean and debride in spite of the location. I would put her in a sink where there's a spray hose on the faucet. Lots and lots of irrigation of the wound will be necessary to accomplish adequate wound treatment. Every. Single. Day.

After each debriding and irrigation, dry the wound with a warm hair dryer, spray with Vetericyn to encourage new tissue growth, dry again and smooth on some hydrocortisone cream to discourage the overgrowth of tissue and to reduce inflammation. A bit of antibiotic ointment over the cortisone will keep bacteria out of the wound. The chicken should be kept in a clean crate to avoid further contamination of the wound.

This requires commitment, a lot of time, and follow-through. If you decide this rigorous wound treatment is something that you have no time or stomach for, euthanasia is a legitimate alternative.

To me it looks like a possible squamous cell cancerous tumor, but an ingrown feather cyst or fungus might be possible. A vet might be able to give you a diagnosis.

To me it looks like a possible squamous cell cancerous tumor, but an ingrown feather cyst or fungus might be possible. A vet might be able to give you a diagnosis.
I had a hen with a very bad wound on her tail nub. It looked like this chicken's wound. No amount of debriding, wound care and even antibiotics, made one iota of difference. She was in a lot of pain, as well. I finally decided this had to end and euthanized her. This is the hen. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock.71997/ It was so sad and depressing. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a cancerous tumor she had.

Back
Top Bottom