Can chickens get ringworm???

prinellie

Songster
9 Years
Sep 24, 2014
My cows have come down with ringworm - and my chickens and cows all run together in the pasture. Can chickens get ringworm from the cows?? I have asked my vet, but as most of you probably know, vets don't know much about chickens - at least mine doesn't... or do chickens carry it and gave it to the cows?? anyway, if anyone can post an answer I would appreciate it. :)
Stay warm!

My cows have come down with ringworm - and my chickens and cows all run together in the pasture. Can chickens get ringworm from the cows?? I have asked my vet, but as most of you probably know, vets don't know much about chickens - at least mine doesn't... or do chickens carry it and gave it to the cows?? anyway, if anyone can post an answer I would appreciate it. :)
Stay warm!
I don't think ringworm effects poultry. I've never seen it affect poultry before. If it does it would be a surprise for me.

Chickens can indeed get ringworm. They pick it up from the soil just like you and me, dogs, cats, ect. When one of my turkey hens had it, it looked like a spot of fuzzy mold on top of her head. I separated her (its very contagious, just like in people) and applied an iodine solution for a week. It cleared up and thankfully no one else in that coop got it, which is lucky for me because I had a whole lot of chickens at the time. It would've been a pain to treat them all!

Back
Top Bottom