Can chickens have seizures?? Help?

Chick Lover

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 27, 2012
Thanks for reading this!

So, one of my speckled sussex hens must have something wrong with her? Here's what happened....

I went out to give the chickens their feed, gave it to them, and they were peacefully pecking away at it. I had walked about 15 ft. away from the pen when I heard a chicken squawking like it was being killed. I went to see what was wrong and saw that one of my hens was laying on the ground flopping around like crazy! She had stopped screeching before I got there and when I went to pick her up her body went limp.....her eyes were open and she was breathing, but she was completely "zoned" out. At first I though she was choking but she was breathing just fine. It seemed like she was in shock.
I held her and her head upright for about 10 minutes, she gradually started to become aware of what was going on around her. After about an hour she was completely back to normal.

Does anyone have any idea what happened? Will it happen again? I've owned chickens for quite a while and I've NEVER seen or heard of anything like this happening.

I really appreciate any advice or info, thank you for reading this!

I hope someone knows what was wrong!
idunno.gif

I imagine chickens can suffer seizures, since other animals can. I had a finch that was not acting right, and I thought when I heard a ruckus, she had fallen off the perch. But then I caught her seizing, fluttering, rolling around the cage, then stopping and acting like nothing had happened. I also have a dog who has seizures, and is dazed for a while afterwards.

I would not know the cause, or if there is one.

Yes, that would make sense...I've her for a little over a year and she's never done it before. I just wish I knew if and when it will happen again. Thank you for your input! I really appriciate it!

I googled and found your older thread about seizures. I think my 4mo Easter Egger just had a seizure.

I would like to know if your chicken ever got better or did it die? Did it have more seizures?

Thanks.

I have 6 baby Silkie chicks age 5 wks old and one of them has had several episodes where I find her, lying on her back, unable to get up, legs flailing. When I right her into standing, she usually goes on her merry way, eating, drinking, scratching, and chirping although she always seems a little wobbly to us. I wonder if this is seizures, too...

I have a Blue Andulisan chick that acts the same way sometimes. I can see it snap out of it and start walking around like normal again.

Yes it sounds like a seizure.I have a dog that has seizures and I never know when they are going to happen. He has three or four a year. I'm guessing its likely to happen again but there is no way to tell when. It can be scarey to watch but usually they snap out of it
My worry would be if she has another would the other chickens hurt her while she's out? I'd watch her closely. She might not have another for months but just in case keep an eye on her. She should be able to live a normal life even with the seizures. My dog does. I hope this helps a bit.good luck

One our chickens had a seizure a few weeks ago and hasn't laid an egg or acted right since. She has lost her status of Queen Chick. lol Will she ever lay another egg?

I just had a Salmon Faverolle have what I think was seizure. She is now standing up right and drinking water, she is still a little discombobulated though. But the weird thing is that ever 2 or so minutes she falls over and is completely limp for about 5 seconds. Then she just stands back up and keeps drinking water.

Any idea why she would keep falling over?

Back
Top Bottom