can chickens live in your home premenantly

You can do it. Chickens produce a nastier poop than most birds typically kept in households. They are also more prone to disperse bedding if it is used. If you look at my postings from nearly a decade ago you can see I had chickens in the house. They were like cats that would knock items of tables and book shelves. My birds are strong flyers so pose a risk to themselves and windows if startled. Roosters do not mix well with mirrors or highly reflective stainless steel surfaces like trash cans.

First thing I would do is get bird to roost consistently on something where you can collect feces produced at night. Problem will remain with feces produced during day that will be nastier because that is when they produce cecal poop.

A single chick raised by hand and bonded to you will be incredibly miserable whenever you leave the house. I doubt you’ll stay in to keep it company all day every day. Chickens can bond to other animals (including humans) and can live without other chickens, but they really do need to have their buddies there with them all the time or they’ll scream their lungs out. Or they could get depressed by the long stretches of solitude and die. If you are really committed to this and can deal with the poop and the filth, get two chickens instead of one, so they can at least have each other for company (two females).

A single chick raised by hand and bonded to you will be incredibly miserable whenever you leave the house. I doubt you’ll stay in to keep it company all day every day. Chickens can bond to other animals (including humans) and can live without other chickens, but they really do need to have their buddies there with them all the time or they’ll scream their lungs out. Or they could get depressed by the long stretches of solitude and die. If you are really committed to this and can deal with the poop and the filth, get two chickens instead of one, so they can at least have each other for company (two females).
They adapt well. As have done it. They can even be integrated into a normal flock later. I would do a male and female if a pair.

Yeah but how about until he matures?

Sometimes there are problems with immature cockerels and pullets, sometimes there are not. Sometimes there are problems with nothing but pullets, sometimes there are not. Sometimes there are problems with two males, sometimes not. It just works that way with living animals. If you try something and have a problem, deal with it.

Wellz putting aside the fact that it would be gross, have you looked into your city restrictions. We have to have chickens 50ft from the nearest eating room. Pretty sure they wouldnt be happy about a chicken living inside.

Back
Top Bottom