can chicks eat too much?

julie Cruz

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2018
Hi all. I have 6 gals who are about 1 week old. I had there started mash in a round feeder that has a top with holes in it. they pecked at it fine but not a lot. then I took the top off so they could get to their mash easier and holy crap! they go through a whole bowl and then some each day. it's about 5 inches round it's probably a cup of food and i fill it full and they peck and eat till it's empty. I dont know if its possible to over feed at this age? Thanks for your help

No, they are growing, they should always have feed available. My chickens have dry feed available all the time and I feed fermented in the morning.

As aforementioned, young chickens definitely eat a lot, and for a good reason! However, I do believe chickens can eat too much and leave a hole in the wallet. We have a hanging feeder (which prevents scratching and wasting their food on the ground) in their barn-coop and do not provide a light at night. They also free range on a dirt run daily. We used to use a light at night, but they ate so much! We then turned it off and there was no change in egg production. For now, they are ok eating so much, but once they start laying daily, I would just have it available to them in the daytime, because if they see it they will eat it!

Back
Top Bottom