Can crested Kakhi mate with crested Pekin?

Migomamma

In the Brooder
May 16, 2021
Hello, I am new here. i have a male crested Kakhi Campell and a female crested Pekin duck. They are now 6 months and the girl had her first egg today...my question is: can they actually mate and have babies? He is definitely trying ;)
B91ED7C7-80DC-448F-8431-34B0C78344BF.jpeg

Attachments

• CF3E5B7C-2A02-44C8-BA3A-15BD918AFF31.jpeg
    CF3E5B7C-2A02-44C8-BA3A-15BD918AFF31.jpeg
    820.1 KB · Views: 5
The crested gene is a lethal gene that creates a hole in the skull. If you have a single copy of the gene (one parent is crested), all the babies that inherit a copy of the gene, will have a crest. But if both parents are crested, the babies that inherit a copy from each parent will not hatch. They'll die as embryos due to the excessively large hole in the skull.

The crested gene is a lethal gene that creates a hole in the skull. If you have a single copy of the gene (one parent is crested), all the babies that inherit a copy of the gene, will have a crest. But if both parents are crested, the babies that inherit a copy from each parent will not hatch. They'll die as embryos due to the excessively large hole in the skull.
Oh, I did not know this. I thought the OP simply meant whether ducks of different breeds can mate and produce offspring. Thank you for clarifying!

It’s a sad fact, and why I disapprove of crested breeds.

Back
Top Bottom