Can doves and pigeons live together?

That all depends as to what you consider a dove. Mourning doves and their white cousins , are birds that need to be kept in cages all the time. Let out, (outdoors) and they do not return. Many peeps keep white doves in cages inside home. They may let them out of cage to fly around room. They then can usually find their way back to their cage. A pigeon, can be trained to return to loft even is not a racing homer variety. Your single pigeon will be lonely though. Not sure if it is a big issue, but just wanted to share my thoughts. Chicken math also applies to pigeon math. Try to get a second pigeon.
WISHING YOU BEST.... :highfive:

OP. No you should not keep them together.

A dove is much smaller and more delicate than a pigeon. A pigeon is more aggressive and territorial. The pigeons will attack and injure the doves at some point. A slap with a pigeon wing is very hard and can break the bones of the dove.

Also doves are best housed in pairs. They are not flock birds like pigeons and don't like to live in groups. The male doves will attack each other at breeding time, and pull out feathers and peck the eyes of the other males.

Also important is the food doves and pigeons eat is different. Doves only eat the small grains like in parakeet feed, but pigeons need the big grains and seeds (which the doves would not be able to eat).

Pigeons can be kept in a group, each pair with a nesting box or 2.

Doves best in one pair only per cage.

Thank you both so much for the advice.

I built a loft so I have to decide between one or the other.

I just love the look of a white pigeon/dove.
Basically I was looking to house a pair of doves because I feel like they are more tame or can be tamed down to sit on your hand and let you feed them. They just seem to be a more calm bird. I could be totally wrong on that, maybe its just because the pigeons look so robust and the doves look more delicate and gentle.

Any advice on that?

Thank you both so much for the advice.

I built a loft so I have to decide between one or the other.

I just love the look of a white pigeon/dove.
Basically I was looking to house a pair of doves because I feel like they are more tame or can be tamed down to sit on your hand and let you feed them. They just seem to be a more calm bird. I could be totally wrong on that, maybe its just because the pigeons look so robust and the doves look more delicate and gentle.

Any advice on that?

I keep both!

I have white racing pigeons and also white and natural colour ring neck doves.

Both the pigeons and doves get tame the same and loose all fear of you.

The pigeons are more feisty and pushy.. sometimes aggressive, and not actually 'friendly' with me, but they are not in the slightest scared of me. They will land on my arms, eat out of my hands.. come when called etc. Seem to be mostly food orientated then go about their busy schedule once finished with my services lol.

The doves are far more calm and gently. They are also more trusting.. which can be a bad thing as they won't get out of your way so you might accidently sit or step on one if you are not careful. They interact more with me, watching me, allowing me to pet them gently or tickly their necks. They will also fly to me just to sit on my shoulder or knee.. seem to like human company.

I like both for different reasons. I like the white pigeons for being able to allow them freedom... they are beautiful sight flying high in the sky in a flock.

I like the doves for their delicate beauty and gently, calm nature.

Disadvantages of the pigeons is they are really messy... feathers and feather dust, huge amounts of poop (sometimes really sloppy squirted down the walls).

Disadvantages of the doves is that you can't let the free fly outside. They are not as active or interesting as the pigeons in the things they do. They are a bit 'slower' in the brain department than the pigeons in my opinion, so some people find them boring. The males also constantly coo coo coo day and NIGHT which sounds like a ghost or owl and can get annoying!!! But they are not smelly or dirty / messy as the pigeons. (plus you can keep them in a smaller area than pigeons). Also cost of feed is much less as they eat so little.

In my experience pigeons can be trained to eat out of your hand and you can get them tame if you start with a young bird and just keep a single pair I have had homing pigeons and fancy birds and have tamed both .I had best luck with fledgling and using food as a motivation also keeping them separate from the flock will allow them to imprint with you .....just my experience ..good luck

In my experience pigeons can be trained to eat out of your hand and you can get them tame if you start with a young bird and just keep a single pair I have had homing pigeons and fancy birds and have tamed both .I had best luck with fledgling and using food as a motivation also keeping them separate from the flock will allow them to imprint with you .....just my experience ..good luck

I've kept them together free, and in aviaries, but do not suggest it. It really depends on breed of rock doves/"pigeons" interested in. Ringneck doves collard doves and laughing doves, I found to be extremely more noisy skittish aggressive and filthy (mine were show and performance stock), compared to rock doves. I could however slowly condition my other doves to free fly, same as can even with only show to ornamental breeds, not good as performance rock doves breeds. Still I liked my other doves breeds, just seemed useless to keep the other species being so fragile all around.. but, one thing ringnecks especially excelled at was that they'd take any eggs or young birds any time and raise it.

Back
Top Bottom