Can ducks go overnight without access to water?

wordgirl

One of the Shire-folk
12 Years
Apr 14, 2009
I'm designing my duckhouse for my hypothetical bevy that I would love to have
tongue.png
and...in my design the waterer isn't actually inside the house for cleanliness purposes. Will this totally not work? Probably the average time they would spend without water would be from dusk (when they bed down for the night) to eight to ten or so the next morning. During the day they would be able to drink as much as they wanted while they were out and about, but they would be shut in overnight.

Yes, they can survive without water overnight.
Wild animals rarely have 24/7 access to food and water. Most animals in general are designed to be able to survive short droughts or times without abundant feed. Most diurnal animals don't drink and eat at night anyway. They sleep.
If I were you I would install an automatic door that opens and closes with the light changes so they won't have to go until 10 AM without water, but even if they do, unless they are sweltering hot, they'll be fine as long as they have unlimited water during the day.

I would not provide feed if you don't provide water though. It'll dry out their throats and they'll have difficulty getting it down without water. Also, young babies may be an exception, as for most things, the smaller and more active it is, the more frequently they need to eat and drink. Small and active describes ducklings quite well
smile.png

I just got a brood of 29 graduated to outside of horse stall.We had problem's getting this new group just to outside and going to pond.All of my previous ducks were graduated to pens in horse stall then let out to water and they all went back to sleep area in stall at night.We have lost 4 out of these because they would go to door and sleep.Last few night's finaly after We lost the one's they have been hopping back in there.I don't keep food or water in there.The duck's will do just fine overnight without water and it's best if you feed them early eve and offer water before bedtime then take it away.

I was reading Storey's Guide and I think it says they can go 8 hours or so without food/water. That's what I plan on doing (I'm new to ducks). However, something I realized...if I'm putting them up at dusk, during some times of the year that's before 5:00 pm. So depending on where you live, yours could be going 12-16 hours without water.

What I'm doing is getting them an Amish dog kennel. The enclosed box area is smaller than I would have liked (just over 3 square feet per bird) however it's insulated and this smooth material that can be hosed off and most importantly, it has a door out to an attached fenced run with a composite floor and a roof. So I'm going to keep water (but not food) out there so I don't have to rush out at the crack of dawn and they're not going 14 hours without water even with me out there early in the morning.

My ducks seem to prefer to be outside anyway and from what I've read on here, that's the norm. I figure I will consider the entire size, including the run because they will have access to the outside at night and will probably want to spend time out there unless it's frigid in which case they probably won't mind being close to each other.

I started removing the feed and water when I lock my little slobs in at night.

6 hours of gagging while cleaning the straw out of their garage after the winter was the deciding factor.

We have been doing this for 2 months and they are fat and fine.

Quote:
Yes.
smile.png
I should have mentioned that....
tongue.png
And the feeder is inside, so they'd have that overnight.

Last edited:
Ducks have to have water when they eat...
So if you are feeding them at night...you gotta keep the water in there for them. Sorry.. I know its SO messy!

I didn't even think of that!
hide.gif
I'm sure glad I asked you guys! Well then, if they DIDN'T have food overnight, would they be okay?

Back
Top Bottom