Hen-hatched ducklings in the coop at night without food and water

WhiteTreeOfGondor

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends.” -Gandalf
Apr 26, 2021
Upstate South Carolina
My broody Welsh Harlequin just hatched 2 ducklings. This is my first time with ducklings that were not hatched in an incubator. They are sleeping with their mother in a dog crate inside one of the coops for the ducklings' protection. But I realized that they will not have food or water overnight, just like the adults. With artificially incubated ducklings, I wait until they're 2 weeks old to put them in a coop without food and water. I have no way to set up food and water in the coops without huge messes every night. Would it be fine for these ducklings to eat and drink only during the day?

If you cant put water and food in the coop, can you take the mom and babies out of the coop and house them seperately like in an area of your garage or basement (I have a basement addition that I use)
I think they should have access to water and food around the clock for at least the first week or two

If you cant put water and food in the coop, can you take the mom and babies out of the coop and house them seperately like in an area of your garage or basement (I have a basement addition that I use)
I think they should have access to water and food around the clock for at least the first week or two
Hmm, I don't have a garage or a basement. It would probably just be easier to deal with the mess inside the coop than it would to set up a new area for them. The coops are the only predator proof places. I've been wanting to build a permanent room area inside the coop for broodies but haven't yet. If I get to it I'll have to make a feed and water area. Thanks!

If they just hatched today, they'll be FINE. They are living off the yolk they absorbed and will survive fine for 2-3 days without food or water. When hatcheries ship day-old chicks to you, they typically spend a couple of days in transit before they reach you.
True, I wasn't worried about them tonight but was thinking more of the next couple of weeks. They hatched last night and I don't think they've started eating yet. They did drink though.

I have 3 weeks olds right now with mama duck and they have had food and water around the clock. I keep mine inside the coop but use a partition
IMG_2085.jpeg
to keep mama and ducklings safe. I have lids to plastic bins that I used to put pee pads on top of then I put the water contains and feed on them that does help keep the mess at a better level. Mama has a container high enough ducklings can't climb into and theirs has holes cut into the top so they can't climb into theirs. IMG_0548.jpeg These work good for mamas high enough tiny ducklings can't reach IMG_2627.jpeg This one for ducklings.
Hope you post pictures of the new little family.

I have 3 weeks olds right now with mama duck and they have had food and water around the clock. I keep mine inside the coop but use a partition View attachment 3570190to keep mama and ducklings safe. I have lids to plastic bins that I used to put pee pads on top of then I put the water contains and feed on them that does help keep the mess at a better level. Mama has a container high enough ducklings can't climb into and theirs has holes cut into the top so they can't climb into theirs.View attachment 3570193These work good for mamas high enough tiny ducklings can't reach View attachment 3570194This one for ducklings.
Hope you post pictures of the new little family.
I like your partition, I need to make something like that. My coop isn't that big but since she only has two ducklings they should be fine with a smaller area.

Back
Top Bottom