Can ducks have a stroke?

I think she is going blind... I say that because I have a duck who has been *mostly* blind her entire life and makes that same, constant motion, but mine is front to back instead of side to side...

Any cloudiness in her eye? Anyting inside the pupil area?

Eyes are clear, but I don't believe she sees me... I will try more one on one tomorrow to see if she can see anything, but I really think she doesn't :(

I think she is going blind... I say that because I have a duck who has been *mostly* blind her entire life and makes that same, constant motion, but mine is front to back instead of side to side...

Any cloudiness in her eye? Anyting inside the pupil area?
That's where I've seen it! I have a little chicken hen that's close to blind and that's what she does!

That's where I've seen it! I have a little chicken hen that's close to blind and that's what she does!

What would make her go blind? She is only around 6 months old. Although she may have been hard of seeing all along as she was always the 'slow' one out of all the other ducks. They would run through an open hole in the fence and she would just stay there not knowing where they went or what to do. But this head thing just started and also walking in circles.

As a side note she seems a lot calmer now in the house. Maybe because it is warm and quiet here...

What would make her go blind? She is only around 6 months old. Although she may have been hard of seeing all along as she was always the 'slow' one out of all the other ducks. They would run through an open hole in the fence and she would just stay there not knowing where they went or what to do. But this head thing just started and also walking in circles.

As a side note she seems a lot calmer now in the house. Maybe because it is warm and quiet here...

She would definitely be calmer knowing she is in a safe area... she might have been partially blind and it is just progressing further?

How well do ducks smell? They seem like pretty visual creatures...

Maybe she has progressed in being blind and cannot see the food or water, and the loss of sight of course made her act strange. If so, I think it would be best to keep her isolated until you figure out how you are going to handle this situation because it may make her more stressed to hear her friends and not see them. Bless your baby! I hope you both feel better soon.

There are probably some diseases that can cause blindness, but I'm not sure what they are. I really think you should try to get her to a vet. :(

She probably does feel safer in a quiet, warm house. :)

There are probably some diseases that can cause blindness, but I'm not sure what they are. I really think you should try to get her to a vet. :(

She probably does feel safer in a quiet, warm house. :)

I agree, vet would be best... possibility though that she had an issue at hatch that has now gotten worse... but better to have her checked out and find out for sure that is her eyesight and find the cause...

I'm wondering how it worked out as I have a 12 year old muscovy boy who all of a sudden began acting exactly the same way as your girl tonight. All the same symptoms exactly.

Back
Top Bottom