NinjaGamer2022

Songster
Apr 30, 2022
I think it would be cool to own ducks in the future (Khaki Campbell, Magpie, Indian Runner, and/or Call ducks) but where I live having a pond may or may not be feasible in the future. Advice is appreciated. Thx,

I know some say yes, but in my opinion no, they absolutely need water to swim in. That's what makes them the most happy, it keeps them clean and bug-free, and their feathers beautiful. It's why they're called waterfowl - it just brings them so much joy to float in and bathe in and play in the water. You don't have to own a pond. I started with large plastic wading pools and built a ramp in and out of it. Then we installed a couple of the black plastic preformed pool. It takes frequent cleaning and water changing, and they're not huge, but it's worth it. Everything with ducks takes time and energy. I do think they are more labor intensive than chickens, so keep that in mind when making your decision.

I know some say yes, but in my opinion no, they absolutely need water to swim in. That's what makes them the most happy, it keeps them clean and bug-free, and their feathers beautiful. It's why they're called waterfowl - it just brings them so much joy to float in and bathe in and play in the water. You don't have to own a pond. I started with large plastic wading pools and built a ramp in and out of it. Then we installed a couple of the black plastic preformed pool. It takes frequent cleaning and water changing, and they're not huge, but it's worth it. Everything with ducks takes time and energy. I do think they are more labor intensive than chickens, so keep that in mind when making your decision.
Thank you for this info. Could they safely swim in a stream? In the future I would like ducks but the water here is NOT reliable so I probably couldn't do a pool..... What size tub did you use? Is it like a kiddie pool from the dollar store?

I have used the larger plastic kidding pool - it's like 5 or 6 feet I think - yes, any hardware store carries them. They just need frequent water changes and scrubbing.

I have used the larger plastic kidding pool - it's like 5 or 6 feet I think - yes, any hardware store carries them. They just need frequent water changes and scrubbing.
Do they need the pool everyday and do you need to replace the water daily? Thank you for you time.

For all the reasons mentioned above I think it's nice for ducks to swim every day. My ducks would be quite sad without it. My young ones spend many hours a day in the pool inside their run. I think replacing the water depends on your climate and weather. I live in the pacific NW and replace water every few days in the summer, and in the winter once a week - that's for my bigger pond. The tiny pond in their run I replace every day since they swim in it non-stop and it gets dirty quick. I have a well so I don't have to pay for the water - paying would make it quite expensive.

For all the reasons mentioned above I think it's nice for ducks to swim every day. My ducks would be quite sad without it. My young ones spend many hours a day in the pool inside their run. I think replacing the water depends on your climate and weather. I live in the pacific NW and replace water every few days in the summer, and in the winter once a week - that's for my bigger pond. The tiny pond in their run I replace every day since they swim in it non-stop and it gets dirty quick. I have a well so I don't have to pay for the water - paying would make it quite expensive.
Thank you for this info. Depending on what the future brings I may or may not get ducks then. Thx,

I think it would be cool to own ducks in the future (Khaki Campbell, Magpie, Indian Runner, and/or Call ducks) but where I live having a pond may or may not be feasible in the future. Advice is appreciated. Thx,
I had 6 ducks (5 now as I lost one to illness) we have a large kiddie pool In the summer for them which we drain each night using a 1/2hp or 1/4 sump pump. In the winter they get a smaller pool that I put a driver in when temps will drop. It's smaller since the sump pump will freeze over I have to hand bail. They are happiest when they can swim and bathe.
I also eny bringing them in the house in the tub for baths but now that they are full grown I can only fit 2 at a time. But I'm a bit excessive in that.
They do need to have free access to drinking water that they can clean out bills and eyes with but a daily pool is not needed. Either way they will make a mess of any water given. Mine do not get water at night since I don't want the mess in their hut and especially in the winter want to reduce moisture.

I don’t personally believe that at least welsh harlequins need constant bathing Water. Now, I can’t say for other breeeds. Ive read runners do. yhough, if you live in a dry climate, i100% believe they need a constant source. we get rain weekly. Our ducks don’t bathe in it sometimes, but usually they do. If not, I tend to get the hose out and simulate rain.

i wish I could say I offer a pool weekly, but as I’m chronically Ill and my father does not like leaving the pool in one spot, I don’t. I try to every 2 weeks, maybe monthly if it’s a bad motnh, like last month. This is only possible without developing wet feather because of our continually, heavy down pouring.

we offer a large kiddy pool. I’ve found that while our ducks all generally will climb in , only a couple actually use it. The others tend to get in, get wet, get out, and preen and not return back to the source. Spoon and Ladle, though, love the water. They dive, flip, have zoomies, etc. imo? Enrich them with water all you can. sometimes I fill up a shoe rack tote with water and floating fruits/veggies and let them fish and swim. Sometimes they get a pool. They always get either a rain or hose weekly. I personally think it depends on the duck and the breed.

Back
Top Bottom