Can environment cause broodyness?

Most of us are familiar with regular broody hens, but how about older hens that go broody after being exposed for a couple of weeks to store bought chicks being brooded in the run where the flock hangs out? This phenomenon is more curious than a young hen becoming broody to sit on eggs. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/we-know-broody-hens-how-about-a-nanny-hen.1407935/

For my money, these cases are an argument in favor of the environment playing a role in triggering broody hormones, and that would be in addition to genetic factors. These older hens of mine that adopted chicks after becoming partially broody were breeds that had a high tendency to broodiness.

My take on this is that genetics predisposes a hen to becoming broody, but something in the environment likely also plays a role in triggering the broody hormones.

There is so much about chickens that just begs to be studied, but our culture tends to treat food animals in a very limited fashion, and if the study doesn't maximize this purpose, the study is written off as foolish and a waste of time.

I know it's hormones that cause broodiness, but what causes the hormonal changes? If it's environmental, why don't all the birds in a flock go broody at the same time? Or at least all the birds of the same breed? (Well actually I once had 8 BO and I think 6 of them did, all at once!). I don't know who might be able to answer this, but it's a great question. @azygous? @ChickenCanoe ? Breed must play a part; I've never had an EE go broody, and they've always made up the majority of my flock.
It can be environmental. However, you know breed does play a huge role. That said, even though some breeds have had broodiness bred out of them and some tend toward setting, In fact, I've had Orpingtons that never went broody, many Leghorns go broody. I had an EE that raised two clutches a year for me.
When I was younger, we kept 100 white Leghorns for egg sales and it seemed like there were always about 3 of them in broody jail at a time. I had a black Leghorn who raised about 5 clutches during the time I had her.
As for environmental conditions that induce the hormonal change, I think a comfortable nesting material is important. I never had a hen go broody on plastic nest pads, the astroturf type. Mostly they seem to like excelsior nest pads or just pine shavings.
Another thing that seems to help is when there are multiple eggs in the nest. I would often get broodies when eggs would be in the nest for 2 or 3 days. I think it is the stimulation of those lumps on the abdomen that causes a hormonal change.
I don't think temperature has a great deal to do with it. I've had hens go broody throughout the year.
Though I think increasing day length vis a vis periods of darkness. I've had a lot of pullets go broody just after the onset of lay in the spring.

Thank you, @Chicken Canoe. At the moment I have 3 broodies out of my mixed flock of 23: a Black CM, a Blue CM and (I think) a Black Orp. The Black CM was a real viper at first when I reached under her to collect the daily egg (singular!), but as I persisted now she just growls at me, as do the other two. I'll be moving them soon to the brooder pen where there are no nests and where I can give them cool baths daily.

Not I! I have 3 Marans, and all 3 of them were broody. I have no need of broodies! It's one reason I like EEs so much, they never seem to go broody.

Back
Top Bottom