Can finisher be fed to laying hens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Irlchick87, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Irlchick87

Irlchick87 New Egg

Aug 7, 2016
    Hi

I have a problem. I got 40kg of pellets from my local feedstore and only realised after I'd put it in the storage bin that it was finisher rather than layers pellets. Is it ok to feed it to my girls or is it too high in protein/low in calcium. I appreciate any advice on this. Thanks.

2. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    Yes it's fine, finisher is usually around 15% protein. If it's between 15% to 18%, It'll be fine. But it'll be way to low in calcium. You will need to add additional calcium. The best type is crushed oyster shell in a separate container placed near the food.
    If they're all hens and laying you can mix it in the feed and have it on the side free choice. I don't know the ratio, but it may say on the bag, or someone on this site can help you.
    I have all hens so I feed a layers feed with 3.5% calcium, so far I haven't had to buy oyster shell. The eggs have thick shells. GC

3. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    One more thing if it's only 15% protein and they don't free range you may need to add protein. Like meal worms or crickets. GC

4. Irlchick87

Irlchick87 New Egg

Aug 7, 2016
    Thank you so much for the advice. I'll make sure they have oyster shell grit. I was really worried it'd be all wrong. Will have to double check the bag next time. Thanks again.

5. Pendragonz

Pendragonz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    GC is totally correct. It is fine to feed them either one as long as you supplement with the calcium. Personally I buy which ever is more economical at time of purchase and just make sure they get the calcium.
    [​IMG]

6. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I've had hens that went their whole lives on 18% grower with oyster shell on the side that did just fine.

7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    We use turkey/game bird finisher and supplement oyster shell free choice. I like the turkey finisher as an all flock feed as it comes in pellet form for less waste and is 20% protein.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by