Can finisher be fed to laying hens

Irlchick87

Hatching
Aug 7, 2016
Hi

I have a problem. I got 40kg of pellets from my local feedstore and only realised after I'd put it in the storage bin that it was finisher rather than layers pellets. Is it ok to feed it to my girls or is it too high in protein/low in calcium. I appreciate any advice on this. Thanks.

Yes it's fine, finisher is usually around 15% protein. If it's between 15% to 18%, It'll be fine. But it'll be way to low in calcium. You will need to add additional calcium. The best type is crushed oyster shell in a separate container placed near the food.
If they're all hens and laying you can mix it in the feed and have it on the side free choice. I don't know the ratio, but it may say on the bag, or someone on this site can help you.
I have all hens so I feed a layers feed with 3.5% calcium, so far I haven't had to buy oyster shell. The eggs have thick shells. GC

Thank you so much for the advice. I'll make sure they have oyster shell grit. I was really worried it'd be all wrong. Will have to double check the bag next time. Thanks again.

Hi

I have a problem. I got 40kg of pellets from my local feedstore and only realised after I'd put it in the storage bin that it was finisher rather than layers pellets. Is it ok to feed it to my girls or is it too high in protein/low in calcium. I appreciate any advice on this. Thanks.

GC is totally correct. It is fine to feed them either one as long as you supplement with the calcium. Personally I buy which ever is more economical at time of purchase and just make sure they get the calcium.
welcome-byc.gif

I've had hens that went their whole lives on 18% grower with oyster shell on the side that did just fine.

We use turkey/game bird finisher and supplement oyster shell free choice. I like the turkey finisher as an all flock feed as it comes in pellet form for less waste and is 20% protein.

Back
Top Bottom