Can I add a rooster in a year so when I want to breed?

goldeaglenest

Chirping
Mar 13, 2017
Hi all! Getting my flock of day old laying hens tomorrow and opted to avoid getting a rooster for now. For me, the biggest reason is the noise. All my neighbors have roosters that crow all day long and some of them sound more like a screaming banchee than a bird.... anyway, I'm not 100% sure that I ever want a rooster but if I did want one for breeding and protecting the flock, is now the time to get it so that I can raise them all together, or would raising my hens for a a year or so and then buying a rooster of the same age later on down the road be ok? My flock will be a mix of different breeds, all hardy and said to be fairly docile.

Given your circumstances, I'd recommend that you just keep the birds that you have for a year. If you decide that you want to add a roo next year you can either get a proven roo from someone who is replacing him with a younger roo. An older seasoned roo has an established behavioral track record, and should know how to treat his ladies nice. Or you could bring in a young cockrel. I'd be looking for one about 9 - 12 weeks old. Your older hens will school him in how to treat the ladies. He'll have to earn their respect before they give him breeding privileges. But, before you get a roo, consider why you really want one. If it's only for flock protection, they really aren't necessary. Your alpha hen will take over as flock master. I'd only have a roo if I wanted to breed my own chicks, and had the space to do so. Remember, that if you hatch eggs, at least half of those chicks will be cockrels. Don't get a roo unless you are comfortable culling all of those roos.

Given your circumstances, I'd recommend that you just keep the birds that you have for a year. If you decide that you want to add a roo next year you can either get a proven roo from someone who is replacing him with a younger roo. An older seasoned roo has an established behavioral track record, and should know how to treat his ladies nice. Or you could bring in a young cockrel. I'd be looking for one about 9 - 12 weeks old. Your older hens will school him in how to treat the ladies. He'll have to earn their respect before they give him breeding privileges. But, before you get a roo, consider why you really want one. If it's only for flock protection, they really aren't necessary. Your alpha hen will take over as flock master. I'd only have a roo if I wanted to breed my own chicks, and had the space to do so. Remember, that if you hatch eggs, at least half of those chicks will be cockrels. Don't get a roo unless you are comfortable culling all of those roos.

x2 on everything said by Lazy Gardener. Just wanted to mention don't get a young cockerel now the same age as your pullets. Cockerels mature faster and he will be annoying your pullets and trying to breed them before they are ready and it will be stressful for both you and the pullets.
Also, he will be at the top of the pecking order, won't have to work his way up and those are the ones I find sometimes become people aggressive.
If you really decide you want one you can get an adult whose nice temperament is already known or a yourng cockerel who will have to come up through the ranks.

Ok thanks for the good answers! I will wait on a rooster because I don't want to breed right now anyway and it sounds like a rooster has the potential to be much more of a pain than an asset if it's not the right one

Ok thanks for the good answers! I will wait on a rooster because I don't want to breed right now anyway and it sounds like a rooster has the potential to be much more of a pain than an asset if it's not the right one

Very true. I love my roosters. Mine are all sweethearts and great with the flock but I won't keep a human aggressive rooster.

Back
Top Bottom