Loud rooster control experiment

choppedliver

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2023
East Central Wisconsin
So my rooster crows all day every day. Super loud and annoying. Today i tossed the flock some sourdough pieces of bread and since then he’s been pretty quiet all day. Like, insanely quiet compared to his usual behavior. I have to pick up more bread but if anyone out there has some left over sourdough and a loud rooster then give him some and let me know if it’s just an off day or if I’m on to something here. Thanks!

Nah… they get treats literally like 4 times a day. I feed them leftover bread like every other day. I just never pick up sourdough. Let’s not come to conclusions until we test this hypothesis!

Plus i only feed them organic scraps. I tell my roommates to throw thier food away. Literally won’t feed my chickens what most people feed themselves. If i won’t eat it. I won’t feed it. Let’s get this fox fire lore underway!

Nah… they get treats literally like 4 times a day. I feed them leftover bread like every other day. I just never pick up sourdough. Let’s not come to conclusions until we test this hypothesis!
Believing that sourdough bread stops crowing a bit silly. You don't want to give excess starchy treats, it can cause crop issues, not to mention the nutrition issues.
Organic or not, it's best to balance treats and not overdo it.

Constant crowing is either a sign of adolescence (at 5 to 6 months old mine crowed constantly) or they feel something is encroaching on their territory.

Mine will crow back at barking dogs or certain wild birds. I noticed checking trail camera footage that many if the times I thought they were crowing at nothing there was some large animal in the woods, sometimes as far away as 100 yards.

If you're in a suburban setting or there's a busy road nearby, you're either going to have to get one of those "no crow" collars or get used to the noise.

Believing that sourdough bread stops crowing a bit silly. You don't want to give excess starchy treats, it can cause crop issues, not to mention the nutrition issues.
Organic or not, it's best to balance treats and not overdo it.
To keep the ‘treats’ at a healthy level, I wait until mid to late afternoon to spoil the feathered ones.

Back
Top Bottom