1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I begin layer feed soon?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Avonlea22, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Avonlea22

Avonlea22 Jessamine Cottage

Aug 27, 2011
    My pullets are 16 weeks old, and I've been feeding them grower crumble. I've got about 3 to 4 weeks more of the grower crumble left, which will bring them up to about 20 weeks. Would it be ok to start feeding them layer crumble at 20 weeks? This will put us about mid-March. I don't want to have to buy a whole bag of grower food if i don't have to.

Thanks

2. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I would think it would be ok, although Buffs tend to reach point of lay later than most on average or so I thought. I read that 28/30 weeks were average for Buffs but I had one Buff start laying at 20wks,the another at 24 and the last at 28. But you should be fine.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It sounds that you're going to run out of grower at the right time. Normally, one never feeds layer, because of it's super high level of calcium to pullet not yet in lay. However, since your birds are 16 weeks old, you've enough to feed them for a few more weeks, and with spring days coming fast, I'd say you're about as golden as it gets!!!!!

Buff Orpington pullets aren't the earliest layers, but it sounds as if you prefer to purchase large quantities. I'd say that too is pretty wise.

4. Avonlea22

Avonlea22 Jessamine Cottage

Aug 27, 2011
    That's good to hear. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by