Can I eat my 19 week olds first eggs?

One day and 2 day old!! I have one out there right now cackling and screaming like she laid a egg but I went and looked and nothing. She started screaming again and each time I walked out there she would immediently go get back in her nest! I didn't realize they would do the "egg song" so much BEFORE they lay. I thought it was always AFTER??

My every day for the last week. Whole lotta singing/squawking, but only one laying. They're getting there. My second just laid today, and the other one was eager to check out a box today - with lots of singing before and after.

And I ate the first egg once I was sure I was getting more. It was great!

Congrats!

Just want to make sure as long as first eggs are not bloody is it ok to consume them?

Yes, it's fine to eat the egg.

If there is blood on the outside of the shell, the egg is fine to eat. You can wash it off, or you can just crack the egg open without washing it off.

If you crack an egg open and find blood inside, it is also safe to cook & eat the egg, but many of us find it unappetizing (ew, gross!) But it's still safe for people or chickens to eat.

Just went back out there now about an hour later (after driving to the feed store for more chicken feed!!) and there it was! Egg #3!! Yaaay! Thank you all for your help! Dang they are eating a lot of feed. I have 9 full grown birds. How much should they eat in a week?? At $14.50 a 50# bag they need to start laying GOLDEN eggs!!

I have 9 full grown birds. How much should they eat in a week?? At $14.50 a 50# bag they need to start laying GOLDEN eggs!!

A common estimate is 1/4 to 1/3 pound of fee per bird, per day.

1/3 pound times 9 birds would be 3 pounds per day.
Times 7 days per week would be 21 pounds per week.
Which would mean a bag lasts about 2 1/2 weeks.

1/4 pound times 9 birds is 2.25 pounds per day
Times 7 days per week would be 15.75 pounds per week
Which would mean a bag lasts a little over 3 weeks.

Chickens might need a bit more or less than those estimates.
I think the numbers are for commercial layers, while backyard flocks are likely to have larger breeds and more spilled feed. But if a bag lasts less than 2 weeks, you should probably check whether it's being spilled or whether you have some mice or rats eating it too.

Good point about the mice. I have my feeder setting on a set of blocks and everytime I pick the feeder up a small mouse runs out from under it! I guess that's why people HANG their feeders? Am I correct to assume that? Let's see...if a bag lasts 2 1/2 weeks and every bird layed everyday I should get 153 eggs per $14.50 a bag for feed. That's less than 10 cents a egg if my figures are right! But that puts them at $1-$1.20 a dozen to break even! Can't make that downpayment on that yacht I've been wanting yet!!

Good point about the mice. I have my feeder setting on a set of blocks and everytime I pick the feeder up a small mouse runs out from under it! I guess that's why people HANG their feeders?

Rodents will steal a lot of feed, not just what they can eat, but they'll hoard it too. And then it molds...

I don't hang my feeder but I also don't leave it out at night, and have it inside the coop during the day. Any mouse that wants to make a break for it is welcome to, but it'll get eaten on the way in.

Good point about the mice. I have my feeder setting on a set of blocks and everytime I pick the feeder up a small mouse runs out from under it! I guess that's why people HANG their feeders? Am I correct to assume that? Let's see...if a bag lasts 2 1/2 weeks and every bird layed everyday I should get 153 eggs per $14.50 a bag for feed. That's less than 10 cents a egg if my figures are right! But that puts them at $1-$1.20 a dozen to break even! Can't make that downpayment on that yacht I've been wanting yet!!

I sell my eggs for $2.50/doz... I get about 20 doz a month. $50 a month pays for my feed. When I fill up 3 feeders takes about a whole bag and lasts 3 weeks. I have 13 chickens

Back
Top Bottom