Can I extend the run UNDER the back porch?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by @[email protected], Oct 11, 2010.

1. @~rosecityfarmgirl~@

@[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Windsor
    Hi all!
    Right now, I have 3 free range hens in my downtown backyard (If we're out, they go into a 5x12 run attached to the coop, since we have no back fence, and there is an alley behind the house), but in the spring we'd like to get 2 more birds. The coop and existing run are up against the house/porch, so I was wondering.... If it secure the lattice around the porch by digging in chicken wire behind it, etc, can I let the chickens play under the porch? We don't have a lot of space to extend their run into the yard, and we don't want the neighbours to think we're running a full-out farm [​IMG] The porch is about 8x10, and covered with translucent fiberglass to let light in. The chickens are put into their run when it rains, so this would give them dry space to run around instead of them just huddling under the coop.
    What do you think?
    [​IMG]

(Forgive the lack of garden... we recently moved in!) [​IMG]

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Mine stayed under my back porch by choice most of the summer (there is not a whole lot of natural shade in my yard [​IMG] )

If per chance the poop starts to build up and smell, I dumped a 40# bag of pine pellet horse bedding (same as I use in my coop) under the porch and it smelled fine after that. The only other thing is it might bring more flies to your back door, but it looks like your run is close enough to the porch that it's not gonna make any difference in the fly department.

3. @~rosecityfarmgirl~@

Jul 17, 2010
    Windsor
    We do get some flies, but this urban farming suits me.. I don't even notice them anymore! And I'm using those pine pellets in the coop right now, what a miracle they are... it's like scooping pine-scented cat litter!

4. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I think it's a great use of otherwise wasted space. As long as it's predator proof, go for it!

5. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Oh yeah, I'd do that! It wouldn't take all that much work to secure it and I'll bet they'd like it. That is a lot of space in an urban setting to go unused. The other good thing is it won't be adding much to that "downtown farm" look. [​IMG]

6. Crabella

Crabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Inland Pacific NW
    Make an access panel somewhere. At some point you are going to want to clean under your porch. Chickens=poo, otherwise I would go for it.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

EXCELLENT idea and great use of unused space! I echo the "people access" point, though... also if the girls lay a stray egg in there some time. [​IMG]

8. @~rosecityfarmgirl~@

Jul 17, 2010
    Windsor
    Agreed. I'm thinking of putting in 2 low doors, one one each end, should I need to get in [​IMG]

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I agree -- perfectly good idea, just make sure YOU can get in under there TOO when needed [​IMG]

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by