Can I extend the run UNDER the back porch?

@~rosecityfarmgirl~@

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 17, 2010
Windsor
Hi all!
Right now, I have 3 free range hens in my downtown backyard (If we're out, they go into a 5x12 run attached to the coop, since we have no back fence, and there is an alley behind the house), but in the spring we'd like to get 2 more birds. The coop and existing run are up against the house/porch, so I was wondering.... If it secure the lattice around the porch by digging in chicken wire behind it, etc, can I let the chickens play under the porch? We don't have a lot of space to extend their run into the yard, and we don't want the neighbours to think we're running a full-out farm
roll.png
The porch is about 8x10, and covered with translucent fiberglass to let light in. The chickens are put into their run when it rains, so this would give them dry space to run around instead of them just huddling under the coop.
What do you think?
G9oCx.jpg

(Forgive the lack of garden... we recently moved in!)
tongue.png

Mine stayed under my back porch by choice most of the summer (there is not a whole lot of natural shade in my yard
sad.png
)

If per chance the poop starts to build up and smell, I dumped a 40# bag of pine pellet horse bedding (same as I use in my coop) under the porch and it smelled fine after that. The only other thing is it might bring more flies to your back door, but it looks like your run is close enough to the porch that it's not gonna make any difference in the fly department.

We do get some flies, but this urban farming suits me.. I don't even notice them anymore! And I'm using those pine pellets in the coop right now, what a miracle they are... it's like scooping pine-scented cat litter!

Oh yeah, I'd do that! It wouldn't take all that much work to secure it and I'll bet they'd like it. That is a lot of space in an urban setting to go unused. The other good thing is it won't be adding much to that "downtown farm" look.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom