Can I feed bantams with game bird starter?

birdmandan

Songster
Apr 20, 2011
Melbourne SE Suburbs
Hi all,

I am planning to incubate some pekin or cochin bantams in the next few months. I get custom made game bird starter for cheap, much cheaper than chicken feed. It is 33% protein. If I feed GBS to the chicks:

1. Would it affect their health adversely?

2. Would the bantams grow larger due to higher protein or stop at their genetically programmed sizes?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Hmmm. I feed mine game bird starter because I use it for my fermented feed, but it is only 28%. It has not caused any issues and my birds are the proper sizes but 33% is pretty high. Hopefully someone chimes in.

Some studies have shown that high protein levels can affect their health, you might read up on avian gout. Normally the cut-off mentioned for that is 30% protein levels. A key word in this is "can", not necessarily "will", but I'd be uncomfortable feeding that feed by itself.

People that show birds often feed a fairly high protein level feed so their birds will grow bigger. They have a target size they need to hit for show birds. That's all programmed in genetically. It's not so much a case of the birds getting bigger than their genetically programmed size, it's more that that if they are fed a lower protein feed they may not reach that genetic size.

It's not about what's in one bite, it's about how many grams of total protein (or any other nutrient) they average for the day. I certainly understand the desire to save money. Maybe you could mix that GBS with some low protein feed to reduce their total daily amount of protein consumed. They may selectively eat one over the other so you may have to get creative in how you feed it so they get some of each.

Good feeckback and suggestions. Well, I wasn't planning on feeding just 100% GBS. Kitchen scraps, bread, rice, vegetable scraps, forage and bugs. I think it's a viable option to feed GBS and throw in a few things for variety. I raise jumbo quail hence the 33%. My house/land is only 165m2 or under 1800f2. Can't really have a flock of barred rocks or sussex running around but might be enough to squeeze in a few pekins. Thanks for the advice, gentlemen.

Last edited:
I feed 28% game feed to chicks that are in the process of feathering out. Feathers are 80% protein so I figure I they can use it. I also switch my adults to 28% during the summer hot months when their appetite is suppressed and they appear to be getting a bit skinny. I also feed scratch 2x a day so that probably knocks the protein down a few points.

Back
Top Bottom