Can I feed my baby pea scratch grain?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by CaitlinM, Nov 4, 2016.

1. CaitlinM

CaitlinM Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Maryland
    I only had one pea hatch so I am keeping it with my young chicks in the brooder... can I just feed it the chicken feed and scratch grain or do I need to get it something special? This is my first time having a pea!

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Peas need a high protein gamebird type starter. Do not feed him scratch grains at this age. I personally have used 28% game starter with peas.

2 people like this.
  3. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

If you provide grains to young birds it is imperative that you give them grit for a few days before you start. I do not let them have grain for the first four months, only 28% game bird feed.

1 person likes this.
  4. peacock teen

peacock teen Just Hatched

Oct 2, 2016
    They need starter feed because it is medicated and babies get sick easily babies should always be heated till 6 months i live by a Rural King and they didnt have peacock starter food if thats the case it is just as healthy and better to feed them chick starter[​IMG]

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Did you know that not all starter feeds are medicated?

-Kathy

6. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

I am not going to buy medicated chick starter next year since reading the studies that my vet sent me showing that amprolium is not very effective with game birds. We will probably keep using it with the chickens and maybe the guineas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by