1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I feed my chicks some pudding?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SillyChick, Dec 15, 2007.

1. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Hello [​IMG]

We bought some pudding at the store. I was going to buy yogurt for my chicks but unfortunately there isn't any. I'm thinking that pudding can do..........can it? The name is:

Hunt's Snack Pack Pudding Vanilla Flavor

What's written on the box:
    Good source of calcium
    Needs no refridgeration
    No preservatives
    Real Nonfat milk is our #1 ingredient

Here are the ingredients:

Nonfat milk
    water
    sugar
    modified corn starch
    vegetable oil (contains one or more of the following: Palm oil, Partially hydrogenated palm oil, sunflower oil, partially hydrogenated soybean oil)

Less than 2% of:
    salt
    calcium carbonate
    sodium stearoyl lactylate
    natural and artificial flavors
    color added (including yellow 5 and yellow 6)
    Contains: milk

Is it safe?

Many thanks!

2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Some folks have said that chickens don't digest milk well. We've given them things that have some milk (bread pudding) but not a lot and not regularly.

Are you saying you would give this instead of yogurt or just as a one time gig b/c they were out of yogurt?

3. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens are not mammals so they do not have the Lactase enzyme to digest the mild sugars. I would forgo the pudding and anything that contains milk products. There are better sources of nutrients for chickens: Fishmeal, Meat and bone meal, soybean meal, etc.

Jim

4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    But isn't yogurt a milk product? Seems they digest it fine...far as I can tell anyway.[​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yogurt has enzymes and active bacteria cultures that are good for their digestion, not exactly the same as milk. I've been told that chickens cannot digest lactose, but in the old days, farmers fed chickens milk for some medicinal reason I can't recall at the moment, so I'm not sure about that. The pudding you posted the ingredients of seems to have lots of fake stuff in it and added processed sugars, artificial colors, etc, i.e. alot of junk. It's not remotely like plain, unflavored active culture yogurt or plain milk, for that matter.

6. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Quote:Ah, I see. Thanks for that. All I could think of was that I know how to make yogurt with goat milk, LOL, and it's just a tbsp of plain yogurt in some milk.

I digress...

Back to the original post, I wouldn't feed it either. It contains a lot of preservatives (one of those things I'm avoiding with my flock, anyway).

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The active culture in yogurt consumes the lactose in the process of making the yogurt. Yogurt has none of the bad and all of the good, for chickens.

Edited to add this link on probiotics. Lactobacillus acidophilus is the active culture in yogurt.
    http://www.vetcareindia.com/probiotics_bulletin.htm

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  8. earthnut

earthnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    I wouldn't use it because of the high sugar content. Isn't sugar bad for chickens? That would worry me more than a little lactose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by