Can I feed my roo layers pellets????

indi

Songster
9 Years
Aug 4, 2011
Hi I have been meaning to buy some pellets for my chIckens but I couldn't find anything other than layers pellets. Can I feed these to my chickens including my roo or does anyone have a link to some non layers pellets?

x3. The layer pellets have less protein than starter/grower formulas b/c by the time hens reach the point of lay, they're finished growing. Layer pellets also have added calcium for strong egg shells. While roosters don't require additional calcium, it doesn't hurt them and they also don't need the added protein once they're mature.

You will find a lot that do feed layer to there roosters but it is not good for them. Layer feed has way too much Calcium in it for roosters and can lead to some health problems.
What some people have to remember is that a hens need the add calcium because the lay eggs, rooster don't lay eggs so they don't need the extra calcium.

Chris

Quote:
What information do you have the amount of calcium in layer pellets can lead to some health problems in roosters? What kinds of problems and where can this research be read?

I am somewhat in agreement with Chris but, 1st of all, you have to take my thoughts with a grain of oyster shell since I haven't had a rooster for years and years.

The ag agency for Ontario has some thoughts on roosters eating, "high-calcium breeder diets, which provide 4-6x their calcium needs." They report that, "kidney dysfunction is quite rare in these birds." Pre-Breeder diets (click)

Keep in mind their audience for this advise: commercial outfits that will only keep those birds as long as the hens are in full production. The roosters will go when they cycle that flock out of their operations. If you wish to have your roosters over a long time and are concerned about their kidney health especially, you may not want them eating the same feed as those egg-a-day layers. And, it is those kidneys that have to deal with all that extra calcium. If they cannot, it builds up within the bird.

An easy thing to do is feed them all something like Flock Raiser and offer oyster shell, free-choice. There is a current thread on this forum "Flockraiser for Laying Hens" for you to read what others do. You can also dilute the feed the rooster gets by giving him extra scratch grains or kitchen scraps, separate from the hens. He not only doesn't need so much calcium but he doesn't really need all the protein either.

And then, if you take my thinking on this completely -- that rooster is just lucky to be hanging out with a flock of laying hens, anyway
wink.png

Steve

digitS' :

I am somewhat in agreement with Chris but, 1st of all, you have to take my thoughts with a grain of oyster shell since I haven't had a rooster for years and years.

The ag agency for Ontario has some thoughts on roosters eating, "high-calcium breeder diets, which provide 4-6x their calcium needs." They report that, "kidney dysfunction is quite rare in these birds." Pre-Breeder diets (click)

Steve

I think you're misinterpreting that article. The actual quote is: "It is also interesting to realize that most roosters today are fed high-calcium breeder diets, which provide 4-6x their calcium needs, yet kidney dysfunction is quite rare in these birds."
That article supports my proposition, not the opposite.​

Quote:
What information do you have the amount of calcium in layer pellets can lead to some health problems in roosters? What kinds of problems and where can this research be read?

High amounts of Calcium (Ca) in any poultry's diet can cause health problems with there kidneys and cause ureter, kidney impaction resulting in nephrosis and in some cases Avian Urolithiasis (Gout).

A good feed co. will state on there layer feed bag for laying fowl. (there is a reason they print that on the bags)
Example of Buckeye Feed 17% Complete Laying Crumbles.
Quote:
Quote:
Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom