Can I feed unhatched eggs to my chickens

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bobbieschicks, Jan 16, 2012.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Or will that cause them problems? I'm wondering if I can scramble the undeveloping eggs on Day 8 of incubating them and give them to my chickens?

2. bluefeather2697

bluefeather2697 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    uhm, maybe.
    but i don't think so...

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    As long as they don't have bacteria in them, they are perfectly safe to feed to your chickens. Sniff them first to see if you smell a rotten egg odor. If they pass that test you can scramble or boil them and feed them back to the chickens.

I don't trust my candling skills at day 7 or 8 to make that decision with my brown eggs. I've been wrong before. But there is nothing unsafe about them. If you can get past the yuk! factor, you could safely eat them. I can't get past that yuk! factor myself.

4. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Okay thanks. I'll only do that to the clear ones that are obvious. And only give them to the chickens scrambled.

5. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    To the chickens or the chicks? Giving chicks scrambled eggs is good because they contain a lot of protein. But giving scrambled eggs to chickens is a bad idea. Once they get a taste for eggs they will start cracking their own eggs open and eating them.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Many of us feed scrambled or boiled eggs to chickens of all ages on a regular basis and do not have egg eating chickens.

7. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I would feed the scrambled eggs to my 13 and 22 week olds. I've fed my pullets scrambled eggs before and so far no issues. I crush the shells and let them eat those separately.

8. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Then you're lucky.

9. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA

Um, no, that would pretty much be a wives' tale. You can feed scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, fried eggs, any other kind of eggs you want to your chickens with no issue. It's a good way to use up extras that you have no other use for. The chickens won't make the connection between cooked eggs offered to them and what is shooting out the back end of the hens.

I probably wouldn't give them whole shells,no point in giving them ideas.

Deb

10. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I feed the excess eggs to my flock and they love them i just crack the egg a bit so it will crack open when it hits the ground and then I watch them run after them and i've had no issues with my girls cracking and trying to egg their own. I've had them accidently crack them by stepping on them but that's about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by