Can I feed weeds to chicks?? How about grub???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Toi-toi, May 30, 2010.

1. Toi-toi

Toi-toi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    Many people are talking about "fresh clipped grass" for chick treats.
    What kind of grass you are talking about??
    Lawn??? or any green grass grow in my yard?? Like dandelions and other some unknown weeds??

I was weeding my garden and found worms and gave to them.
    Also I found a lot of grubs but I wasn't sure I could give to my chicks....
    Grubs are treats for them???

2. underground chickenman

underground chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Orlando, Florida
    Yes, grass from the yard, but make sure it hasn't been treated with fertilizer or insecticide. Clean, chemical-free grass only. They will eat grubs and worms too. They will need grit if you feed them anything but commercial feed. Make sure you get grit (not oyster shell) of an appropriate size for their age and without calcium.

UGCM

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  3. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    I feed all the weeds I pull from my garden to my chickens. I let my grass clippings dry, then bag it to feed to my rabbits. Any grubs, worms, etc. also get fed to the chickens.

4. HappyTalons

HappyTalons Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    Do you have a lawn care service or use "grub x"? If so I might avoid the grubs. But otherwise chicks love grubs and caterpillars (avoid the fuzzy ones though). June bugs are really hilarious to give them also.

One thing in lawns I have found every one of our chickens to love is clover. They do like dandelions to some extent, grass is okay if in small bits when young, but for us clover has been preferred over any other weed or plant in our garden/lawn.

edit- and yes if you feed these make sure they have access to grit.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  5. Toi-toi

Toi-toi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    We used to use lawn care service but we changed to organic lawn treatment because we got chickens.
    I'm not sure we use grub control but that was in my garden and I don't use any chemical in there so should be fine.
    The grub I found was about 1/4" thick and 1" long. That was huge I've never seen like that size!
    I only picked tiny worms for my chicks, not sure they can handle huge (well normal size I guess) earthworms yet.
    They are almost 3 weeks old.

I have clovers in my yard! I will go get them now.
    Love to see my chicks having fun [​IMG]

6. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I actually cultivate dandelions and chickweed. If your un-chemicaled grass is St. Augustine or similar, it has really no nutrition in it. It is obvious that a chicken will eat just about anything, but a yard full of weeds and bugs would be heavenly from their perspective.

7. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    My 1 year old's love chickweed. I have lots of it growing in the garden (not by choice...). They usually won't touch the dandelions.

8. suzyq53511

suzyq53511 Drowning in Chickens!

Apr 30, 2010
    Beloit
    Well thanks to the old owners of my house all my yard is crab grass and weeds. I hope they will help me weed....my yard is huge. LOL

9. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Great info! Thanks!

10. JennB

JennB Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    nashport, ohio
    I use miracle grow liquafeed on my garden and flower beds, when my chicks are grown should i keep them away from these areas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by