Can I get a re-guess on this one, orignally everyone said girl but.............

appps

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 29, 2012
Australia
I know nothing about sexing chooks but it seems to be getting a bit rooster looking to me and it was one of two inside the chook house when a clucking started up which included a couple of crows. So Im now wondering if we have a rooster and this is the one looks most like one to me.

Originally all guesses were definate girl.

It has coloured up a lot redder than it was originally and the comb and tail both seem to have grown. Its got some partridge in it and the black feathers are starting to get a real green sheen on them.

Roo / Pullett?

At 4 months old

Last edited:
oh that is too cute!!!!
I am not good at sexing but I DO have a silkie who started crowing - she is a girl though so maybe wait and see? She is laying eggs and still crows if she is frustrated about something...

I hate sexing those frizzled birds!

I think it's a rooster. A profile shot would help, but the color says roo to me.

Here you go, side view

That dark orange colouring came on so quickly too. A month ago it looked like this

The tail is more erect too.

Im crossing fingers now that the other one everyone said boy about turns out to be a girl if this is in fact a rooster.

Last edited:
This is the one originally everyone thought was a boy, but despite having the partridge pencilling on its back it hasnt reddened up at all where a male partridge's should and its still got the smaller tail and a less erect stance. They are the same age.

Last edited:
I would guess that the first is a rooster and the second a pullet.

Those are truly awesome incredibly cool looking birds! I'd love to have fancy feathered birds like that, but I know they wouldn't do very well in my current set-up.

Oh my goodness..what gorgeous birds!
ep.gif
What breed are they? Is "chooks" the breed?

Oh my goodness..what gorgeous birds!
ep.gif
What breed are they? Is "chooks" the breed?

LOL no chooks is what we Aussies call chickens
big_smile.png

They are a cross between a silkie and a frizzle bantam though Im not sure of its breed but my guess would be cochin as that seems to look the most like these. They didnt quite get the big sizzle top knots but I sort of like the look of them with just the mohawk thing they have going on anyway :)

I dont remember their parents having a Partridge look about them but there is definatly some Partridge pencilling on all of them especially their silkie sister.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom