Can I get some ideas?

We have had a lot of luck for raccoons using a combination. Fish guts from hubby's last fishing trip that was left to rot for a day or two and marshmallows. Yup, both together. Worked like a charm.
Rotten fish guts also work the best in the fly trap!
Good luck. I despise seeing those beady eyes!
Hmmm maybe I'll go fishing this morning.

What are DP's and conibears? I may try it since I can't seem to get these guys to go into the cage trap.
A "DP" is a trap made by Duke, it stands for "dog proof". It's basically an iron tube about 5" long, with a spike on the bottom to stick it into the dirt, and a spring loaded wire loop at the top. The bandit reaches down into the trap for his treat, the trap fires and the loop springs tight and has him essentially handcuffed. The are GREAT! I get mine from F&T trapping for about $13 each, and they'll last for decades. The beauty of these is that the critter has to pull UP on the trigger for the trap to fire so a dog can't just stick his nose or paw into the thing and get caught, thus the "dog proof" moniker. They'll take coon and skunk and that's about it, with the exception of the occasional red squirrel who stick his paws and head into the tube.
A conibear is a body-grip trap. Look on youtube for "220 bucket set" and you'll get a good idea of how to use one of these. In NH we can't use size 220 or bigger unless it's a minimum of 5 feet off the ground. (With a conibear I bait ONLY with marshmallow so I don't inadvertently catch the neighbors cat.) When these traps fire it releases a pair of powerful springs which slams the trap shut breaking the animals neck and/or back. They are powerful, BE CAREFUL! This bucket set would work well if you have a coon that is climbing up onto the building. They can also be uses in a "run", if the coon is coning through a particular hole in the barn for example. Good luck.

Oh boy, You just made me realize that I should be careful, because the neighbor's cat comes through my yard all the time. He is a sweetheart and does his best to get rid of the chipmonks for me. He is a very good boy.

I went out this morning and caught a fish and threw it in the trap. Maybe that will help to entice those varmits into the cage. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I have read all the great comments on your predator problem and I see that you are trying to rid it from your neighborhood/property to keep them from harming/killing your chickens. I know this is not a sure fire cure for your problem but could you put up a light on a motion detector to come on when they come around? The sudden light coming on may start them thinking that you may be coming outside to investigate. I have other thoughts but I don't want to offend anyone with them.

Good luck

I do have a sprinkler on a motion detector right there. It doesn't seem to phase them. They seem right at home in my back yard. Last summer, a fox ran right by me as I was sitting outside in the afternoon. It makes me nervous that they are so bold.

I have trapped/killed 15 coon, five opposum and one skunk in the past month with a combination of marshmallows, canned fish cat food and a magic potion with cola. They can't seem to resist! My chickens and ducks are feeling much safer now. The coon were so brazen before they were climbing an 8 foot tall hardware cloth fence in the barn to get in. I declared war when they took my best mama hen and seven of her babies in one night......

I have trapped/killed 15 coon, five opposum and one skunk in the past month with a combination of marshmallows, canned fish cat food and a magic potion with cola. They can't seem to resist! My chickens and ducks are feeling much safer now. The coon were so brazen before they were climbing an 8 foot tall hardware cloth fence in the barn to get in. I declared war when they took my best mama hen and seven of her babies in one night......

Please share the magic potion with cola?

Back
Top Bottom