Can I get some ideas?

I would like to avoid any mishaps in the first place. That is why I am trying to get these guys. It all started when I got a game cam to see what was devastating my garden and the camera relealed some night time visitors around my coop that are not welcome.
Tonight, the camera is rolling and there is nasty old chicken leg and fish in the trap.
Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Good luck, and keep us posted. With the bait you're using I'm thinking you have a 3-to-5 chance of getting one tonight.....any betting action? Maybe we need a BYC Forum gaming page. Bets on cockerel/pullet, first egg date, hatch date, predator type.... sorry, the ex horse racer in me rearing it's ugly head here. Back in the day we'd bet on a cockroach race for a nickel.

Do a google search for "drift fence cage trap." You will get some good trapping ideas. I trapped my red fox a couple of months ago; it took a lot of time and some ingenuity. Eventually he went after live bait. They are generally too smart to go into a cage trap. I posted about it (with pics) in this forum, so you should be able to look it up.
From yet another Granite Stater...

I would like to avoid any mishaps in the first place. That is why I am trying to get these guys. It all started when I got a game cam to see what was devastating my garden and the camera relealed some night time visitors around my coop that are not welcome.
Tonight, the camera is rolling and there is nasty old chicken leg and fish in the trap.
Keep your fingers crossed for me!

The fish worked for us after it sat in the trap for a couple days and turned nice and nasty. Then we caught like 3 in one week.

I caught the first of two on my second night of setting the trap. He stole my bait and got clean away the first night. The second one got smarter and stole my baiit twice in two nights. So I moved the trap but I also bought a metal 30 gal trash can and laid it on its side. I wired one of the handles to the chain link fence and slid the trap into the can. I didn't want him stealing the bait through the wire trap. It's longer than the can but the idea was to make it look like something he had seen before, and then put pine straw on top making it look solid. The only way the coon was getting the bait was to go into the can. My bait was caned fish, but it was covered in a sweet, sticky sauce. I opened the can and poured some of the sauce on the ground along with a piece of fish. The can was bigger than sardenes and I pushed it way into the back of the trap behind the trip-plate. I scattered a few marshmallows at the mouth of the trap and some inside. I also tied the front of the trap to a couple of stakes and put pine sticks under the front of the trap. I didn't want the trap to move and either scare him away or worse, set off the trap. I use the have-a-heart brand but whatever you use, set it on the lightest trip pressure possible. It's very satisfying to see the trap door down and the ground torn up! You know you got him and he's been trying to get away but.......

It's been 10 days now and the trap has been set but undisturbed; not over confident but I'm feeling better. I'll leave the trap baited until I can't smell the bait and then I'll re-bait it for a while.

Good Luck.

I just went out to check he trap and game cam. No takers. It looks like the coons decided to go elsewhere for dinner while the fox stayed off in the distance. He showed up at aroud 10:00 pm. I enlarged the picture so you can see him better. As I look at the fox, I am wondering if it is a different one. It looks much bigger than the other photos. Maybe it is just the camera, but this fox looks too big for the trap. I am going to go look up drift fence cage trap now.
Here's last nights picture.

I just went out to check he trap and game cam. No takers. It looks like the coons decided to go elsewhere for dinner while the fox stayed off in the distance. He showed up at aroud 10:00 pm. I enlarged the picture so you can see him better. As I look at the fox, I am wondering if it is a different one. It looks much bigger than the other photos. Maybe it is just the camera, but this fox looks too big for the trap. I am going to go look up drift fence cage trap now.
Here's last nights picture.

That looks like a bob cat but it's really kinda hard to make out with these old eyes.
Game cams are wonderful everyone with birds sould have them, they would be amazed what comes around while they are sleeping.
I have 3 and i set them on the game trails on my place just to see who's comming around.

In one night i captured photos on the cam of a fox, bobcat, possum, Yote and a few coons,
You can see part of a coon in the lower righ corner, he is getting his butt outa there for he gets ate by the bob.

YIKES!
hide.gif
That sure looks similar to my picture. I wish I could see the tail. Then I could be sure. There are bobcats in this region, but I have never seen one in my neighborhood. Sightings are rare. It sure seems like a bigger animal than the other shots of the fox.
I'm going to google tonight on how to catch a fox. I don't think he plans to go in that trap, so I will have to come up with other ways without risking my neighbor's wonderful kitty. For now, I'll leave the trap the way it is for the night. Maybe the fish was too fresh, though the chicken must be reeking by now. Maybe I'll get lucky with a coon.

Back
Top Bottom