Can I get some ideas?

I have my trap set up by a hole in my chainlink fence,so it looks like the drift fence idea. I dug a bit of a hole and put the trap in it.Logs on the side.Greens or black tarp over the top. For bait I use whatever I have on hand...marshmallow,cantelope,apple,carrot. I gotta clean the cage,but will post a picture once I am done.

Yeah,food is abundant so you might have to be waiting till fall/winter. I am so wanting to get all the cottontail rabbits and squirrels.

My location of the trap was the key for me.Seems that spot was the highway of the animal world.Other spots I never caught a thing.If you can locate their travel paths that will help in future set ups.

TG I have no fox issues as of yet.They sound like tough ones to get.Good luck!!!!

Golden Malrin - put about 2 tablespoons full in the bottom of a small cat food can and fill up with cola. It gets all the flies in the area too! Keep covering the mixture during the day if you have no takers at night. If you decide to dispose of it, just bury the can with dirt in an out of the way place - fence row or back in the field. It doesn't appear to have any lasting effects in the soil. It also is good for woodchucks - core an apple and put a spoonfull in the center of the apple and put the apple back together with toothpicks. Place in burrow. They eat it and are buried all in one move. I know it is drastic - but from what I have seen and heard it is a much quicker and less painful end than with the various rat/mouse poisons on the market. Everything from coon, skunks, oppossum, woodchucks and chipmunks have been disposed of with this method. Better than a bad shot with a gun that just wounds something and leaves it suffering.

instead of just putting your bait in the cage dig a small hole put your bait in and then center the trigger over the bait this time of the year there is so much "Natural food" that coons will rarely fall for bait that and when people catch them with a cage trap and release them they will display the behavior you are experiancing for fox it is hard to beat a good comercail gland Lure John Grham ,russ carmen and asa lenon are a few I use for coon look around and see what wild or natural fruit is in season try using what they are already eating it works here right now our wild grapes are not quiet ripe but the blueberries and blackberries are everywhere
I'm thinking of changing out the bait. It's getting really nasty. Do foxes and racoons like it better when it's like that? I like the idea of the bait under the trap trigger, although, at this point, I'm not really sure I even want to get that close to it without a respirator and gloves....
sickbyc.gif
...and maybe a nearby barf bucket.

I have my trap set up by a hole in my chainlink fence,so it looks like the drift fence idea. I dug a bit of a hole and put the trap in it.Logs on the side.Greens or black tarp over the top. For bait I use whatever I have on hand...marshmallow,cantelope,apple,carrot. I gotta clean the cage,but will post a picture once I am done.

Yeah,food is abundant so you might have to be waiting till fall/winter. I am so wanting to get all the cottontail rabbits and squirrels.

My location of the trap was the key for me.Seems that spot was the highway of the animal world.Other spots I never caught a thing.If you can locate their travel paths that will help in future set ups.

TG I have no fox issues as of yet.They sound like tough ones to get.Good luck!!!!
I located my trap right where everybody goes into my garden. The deer, the woodchuck, the coons, the fox, and whatever the hell that thing was off on the distance
hide.gif
I think it was a coyote. At least the fishercats keep their distance...
lau.gif
I shouldn't laugh. I saw two opossums up the street last week on my way to work. Ugh! It's a jungle out there!

Update for those who might be interested. I finally caught a critter in the trap last night.
So, this morning I went outside in the dark to check on the girls. I didn't bring my flashlight because I expected to see nothing in the trap, but when I looked over, I saw something that looked sort of like this. It didn't move and it was really creepy.

Then I went and got my flashlight and took another look.

See the similarity?

I will keep trying this drift fence method for a while to see if I can get those coons and fox.

ROFL!!! What was your bait? We've never caught a opossum, though I know we have them here.
There was only that chicken leg that was in there all week with maggots all over it. It was almost devoured by the worms, and then there was a little fish I caught over the weekend that was getting pretty ripe too. Really gross.
sickbyc.gif

I'm glad hubby emptied the trap instead of me.

We've lost more chickens to possums than we have to coons. And, I really believe we actually have more coons than possums in our area. The DP trap will catch both very effectively. Here is a link to the trap to give you an idea of what it looks like.

http://www.rpoutdoors.com/dudpcotr.html

I chop up minnows, and mix that with strawberry preserves and stuff it down into the pipe-looking part. I'm sure sardines and tuna would also work. Then, I leave a couple of spoonsful around the trap. Once they taste it, they cannot resist sticking their paws down into the trap for more of that delectable treat! This trap will not catch your neighbor's cat or the fox. But it is wonderfully effective on raccoons and possums. And, according to a previous post, skunks also.

The links below are a very good 2-part video of how to set a foothold trap for your fox or bobcat. This set-up will possibly catch the cat though.

These two traps and techniques have provided me with relatively predator free zones around our critters. And we have chickens, ducks, rabbits and turkeys at 3 different family member's places.

The guy in the video goes to the umpth degree in setting his trap. We don't get quite so precise in our trapping. He makes a living trapping smart animals. I just want to keep my animals safe.

I have used snares, bucket sets and other methods to rid our places of critter-killing predators. The least effective method for me has been the cage type traps.

We've lost more chickens to possums than we have to coons. And, I really believe we actually have more coons than possums in our area. The DP trap will catch both very effectively. Here is a link to the trap to give you an idea of what it looks like.

http://www.rpoutdoors.com/dudpcotr.html

I chop up minnows, and mix that with strawberry preserves and stuff it down into the pipe-looking part. I'm sure sardines and tuna would also work. Then, I leave a couple of spoonsful around the trap. Once they taste it, they cannot resist sticking their paws down into the trap for more of that delectable treat! This trap will not catch your neighbor's cat or the fox. But it is wonderfully effective on raccoons and possums. And, according to a previous post, skunks also.

The links below are a very good 2-part video of how to set a foothold trap for your fox or bobcat. This set-up will possibly catch the cat though.

These two traps and techniques have provided me with relatively predator free zones around our critters. And we have chickens, ducks, rabbits and turkeys at 3 different family member's places.

The guy in the video goes to the umpth degree in setting his trap. We don't get quite so precise in our trapping. He makes a living trapping smart animals. I just want to keep my animals safe.

I have used snares, bucket sets and other methods to rid our places of critter-killing predators. The least effective method for me has been the cage type traps.
I like the idea of these traps. Are they legal in New Hampshire? What do I do if I get a bobcat? I think they are protected here.

Back
Top Bottom