Can I get some ideas?

You know i set a dead chicken by the feeder i had set up on the game trail and the only thing that messed with it was the possum, the coons did not even touch it, then my dogs got it the next day
Did the same thing with a bull frog , they did not touch it.
The black thing by the tote is the chicken
Click to enlarge

You can see the possum in the background, it goes straight for the chicken.

Possum made it's way around the coons and was trying to drag off the chciken in the lower left hand side of the photo.

I love spying on nature, i learn alot from it.

You will not catch a bobcat in the DP traps. They cannot "pull" the trigger upwards. And, on an adult bobcat, their paws would be too big to fit inside the pipe-looking part.

Now, the dirt-hole set-up will catch the bobcat. They can be released but, I wouldn't wanna be the one to release it! Those lil suckers can get a little ill-tempered after spending a night in a trap.

The dirt-hole trap is effective though. It will catch most of what is messing with your place. Pay attention in the video how the trapper puts a little obstacle of some type to force the target animal to step where YOU want it to.

Quote:
OMG!!! Please don't do this!!! The active ingredient, a Carbamate, is very environmentally stable. From the MSDS:
"Do not apply directly to water, or to areas where surface water is present. This chemical is known to leach through soil into ground water, especially where soils are permeable or water table is near the surface. "

MEANING: It will contaminate the soil and aquifer, continuing to kill invertebrates and vertebrates alike for a LONG time. Please be careful with poisons like this!!!

For more info: http://www.afpmb.org/sites/default/...s/msds/6840-01-183-7244_msds_goldenmalrin.pdf

Last edited:
I like the idea of these traps. Are they legal in New Hampshire?

Yup. There's nothing in the law that restricts their use up here, and they work GREAT. Funny, I've never run into (or over) a possum up here. I've seen all sorts of critters here on the farm; deer, bear, moose, mink, beaver, snapping turtle, coyote, skunk, coon, porcupine, etc. but never a possum......yet. Good luck trapping, keep up the good work.

No fox yet, but yesterday I caught a turkey vulture. Not sure why. It was just a dead fish in there. The bird died. I am feeling bad about it. Last nights pics revealed a fox right in front of where the trap was. It was not set yet. I was having second thoughts about it after the bird incident.
I would like to try the foot trap if anyone can tell me where I can find one near Raymond, NH. Are they legal here? I guess it doesn't matter if nobody knows. My biggest concern is that this guy will take my birds in the short couple of hours I let them out to free range. It is so close to my house, but I have seen them run through the yard in broad daylight.

When you say "foot-trap", are you talking about the one that is DP=Dog Proof? You can buy them from these fine folks. Ask as many questions as you like and they will answer. The father is still around and is a true gentle-man.

http://www.rpoutdoors.com/dudpcotr.html

Or, are you referring to the ones with the jaws like the "dirt-hole" uses? Same folks. They offer a jaw trap that is "offset" so that it causes little-to-no harm to any animal trapped. Your neighbor's animals would be safe with either. You must choose between "regular" and "offset" when ordering. Again, the offset is the one that will allow you to release the trapped critter unharmed. I would buy the 1.65 coilspring.

http://www.rpoutdoors.com/bridgertraps.html

Talk to these folks Cool. They are the nicest folks. One of these days I'm gonna travel the six hours and go load up on some stuff.

Ok, I ordered the coilspring 1.65 offset trap. What do you stake it down with? Rebar? I'm going to look it up online and see if I can get some info on how to use it.

That fox has been showing up every night and I'm worried about letting my birds out to free range. It could come in and snatch the girls very easily with the way my yard is set up.

Back
Top Bottom